Exploring the Ray Model for Radio Waves: Does it Apply to Longer Wavelengths?

In summary: So just because the ray model is not valid doesn't mean that it can't be used for radio waves of larger wavelengths. It just has to be done with care.usually not but not 'never'. Ray tracing methods for long and medium wavelength radio signals in the ionosphere are about the only way to predict propagation over very long paths. In that case, the dimensions of the propagation path are large compared with the wavelengths involved.In summary, the ray model does not apply to waves of larger wavelengths.
kent davidge
I have never seen ray model of light being considered for radio waves, or waves of larger wavelengths. I have a feeling that this model does not apply to them. Am I right?

Science news on Phys.org
Do you mean as in ray tracing?

kent davidge said:
I have never seen ray model of light being considered for radio waves, or waves of larger wavelengths. I have a feeling that this model does not apply to them. Am I right?
It is "just" a matter of scale. Light and radio waves are the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-of-sight_propagation#Radio_horizon

@anorlunda , @jbriggs444

Let me be more clear,
I have only seen light being described by rays (geometrical optics) when it is visible light. I did not see up until now light of large wavelength, like radio waves, being described by geometrical optics.

Then you haven't met the physicists on this site. They describe light as waves every day.

• Haha
Likes Adesh and kent davidge
A radio telescope dish? Geometric "optics" is probably pretty decent for that application (even if you then make your telescope part of a synthetic aperture telescope). But generally "rays" are useful concepts when wave-y effects like interference and diffraction are negligible - which is pretty often not the case for radio waves.

Likes Dr_Nate, berkeman and kent davidge
kent davidge said:
I did not see up until now light of large wavelength, like radio waves, being described by geometrical optics
ummm really ?
you haven't looked very hard :wink:

4634-004-A0F09F06.jpg

g21b_reber.gif

There's no difference to their optical counterparts

Likes Adesh, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
davenn said:
ummm really ? you haven't looked very hard
To be fair, the OP doesn't claim to have looked for it at all.

Likes Adesh
jbriggs444 said:
It is "just" a matter of scale. Light and radio waves are the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-of-sight_propagation#Radio_horizon
But this scale difference is the key to the answer of the question. Ray optics is an approximation of wave optics for the case that the scale of the obstacles the wave hits is large compared to the typical wave lengths of the em. waves. This is usually not fulfilled for radio waves, which have wavelength roughly in the range of cm to some 100 m.

Likes Dr_Nate and Ibix
A.T. said:
To be fair, the OP doesn't claim to have looked for it at all.

and that is the problem, he should have :wink:

vanhees71 said:
This is usually not fulfilled for radio waves, which have wavelength roughly in the range of cm to some 100 m
Usually not but not 'never'. Ray tracing methods for long and medium wavelength radio signals in the ionosphere are about the only way to predict propagation over very long paths. In that case, the dimensions of the propagation path are large compared with the wavelengths involved.

Likes vanhees71 and davenn
Sure then the eikonal approximation is valid, but I guess it's invalid to consider how radio waves of long wavelength are reflected and transmitted in presence of usual obstacles around us, which are typically of the size of meters, using ray optics.

A particular case of importance is the propagation of radio waves for short distances over the surface of a smooth Earth. There is a ground reflected ray as well as a direct ray, so we have an image of the transmitting antenna below ground. The image is as far below ground as the actual antenna is above. The two rays now add at the receiving antenna and in most cases result in near cancellation. For communication above about 30MHz, for instance, it is found that the inverse square law does not hold and the received power is proportional to about 1/(distance^4).

Likes sophiecentaur and vanhees71

1. What is the Ray model for radio waves?

The Ray model for radio waves is a simplified representation of how radio waves travel through space. It assumes that radio waves travel in straight lines, similar to rays of light, and are not affected by obstacles or other objects in their path.

2. How does the Ray model explain the behavior of radio waves?

The Ray model explains the behavior of radio waves by showing how they reflect, refract, and diffract as they travel through different mediums. It also shows how the direction and intensity of the waves can be affected by the shape and size of objects in their path.

3. What are the limitations of the Ray model for radio waves?

The Ray model is a simplified representation and does not take into account the complex interactions that can occur between radio waves and objects in their path. It also does not account for the effects of atmospheric conditions or other environmental factors on the behavior of radio waves.

4. How is the Ray model used in practical applications?

The Ray model is used in practical applications such as antenna design and radio wave propagation studies. It helps engineers and scientists understand how radio waves will behave in different environments and how to optimize their use for communication and other purposes.

5. Can the Ray model be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the Ray model can be applied to other types of waves, such as light waves and sound waves. However, it may need to be modified to account for the specific properties and behaviors of these waves.