Ray optics - Reflection from sphere

In summary: Since you did not specify the orientation of the unit vectors, there are four possible combinations. Surely all of them cannot have the property you stated. And whether any particular combo does is yet to be...well, determined.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A light ray parallel to the x-axis strikes the outer reflecting surface of a sphere at a point (2,2,0). Its center is at the point (0,0,-1). The unit vector along the direction of reflected ray is ##x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}##. Find the value of ##yz/x^2##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The vector for the light ray traveling parallel to x-axis is ##-2\hat{i}##. The incident ray and the reflected ray make equal angle with the normal passing through (2,2,0). The vector associated with the normal at (2,2,0) is ##-2\hat{i}-2\hat{j}-\hat{k}##.
Dot product of the incident ray and normal:
[tex]4=2\times 3 \cos \theta \Rightarrow \cos\theta = \frac{2}{3}[/tex]
where ##\theta## is the angle between the normal and incident ray.
Dot product of reflected and incident ray:
[tex]-2x=2\cos 2\theta \Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{9}[/tex]
Dot product of normal and reflected ray:
[tex]-2x-2y-z=3\cos \theta \Rightarrow 2y+z=\frac{-20}{9}[/tex]
I still need one more equation.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any plane where the reflected ray has to be?

voko said:
Can you think of any plane where the reflected ray has to be?

Sorry, I am really clueless on this. :confused:

Project the picture onto the tangential plane. The projection of the normal is a single point. The projection of the incident ray is a straight line that ends at that point. The projection of the reflected ray is a straight line that starts at that point. So these two projections are connected at that point, and what is the angle between them?

voko said:
Project the picture onto the tangential plane. The projection of the normal is a single point. The projection of the incident ray is a straight line that ends at that point. The projection of the reflected ray is a straight line that starts at that point. So these two projections are connected at that point, and what is the angle between them?

The tangent plane at (2,2,0) is ##2x+2y-z=8##. Projection of vector ##-2\hat{i}## on this plane is ##\displaystyle \frac{-10\hat{i}+8\hat{j}+4\hat{k}}{9}##. Correct? (I would like to confirm if what I am doing is right. I am not familiar with solid geometry, I found the projection and the plane by looking up the information online.)

Pranav-Arora said:
The tangent plane at (2,2,0) is ##2x+2y-z=8##. Projection of vector ##-2\hat{i}## on this plane is ##\displaystyle \frac{-10\hat{i}+8\hat{j}+4\hat{k}}{9}##. Correct? (I would like to confirm if what I am doing is right. I am not familiar with solid geometry, I found the projection and the plane by looking up the information online.)

I did not mean that you should compute those things, at least not yet, I wanted you to visualize that. A piece of paper and a pencil would do it.

You have an angle with the normal vector. But that angle, as you have already discovered, does not define a unique vector for reflection; rather it defines a cone.

To select the real reflected ray, you need another angle, in the tangent plane - the angle with the (projection of the) incident ray, not the normal. You cannot find that angle - it is postulated in the law of reflection. Just think about that, and use that piece of paper!

The normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is a bisector of the angle between the incident and reflected ray. If [itex]\vec{v}_i[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_r[/itex] are ray's unit vectors then [itex](\vec{v}_r-\vec{v}_i)[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]:

[itex]\begin{cases}(\vec{v}_r-\vec{v}_i)\times\vec{n}=\vec{0}\\|\vec{v}_r|=1\end{cases}[/itex]

szynkasz said:
The normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is a bisector of the angle between the incident and reflected ray. If [itex]\vec{v}_i[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_r[/itex] are ray's unit vectors then [itex](\vec{v}_r-\vec{v}_i)[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]:

[itex]\begin{cases}(\vec{v}_r-\vec{v}_i)\times\vec{n}=\vec{0}\\|\vec{v}_r|=1\end{cases}[/itex]

##\vec{v_r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}##, ##\vec{v_i}=-\hat{i}## and ##\displaystyle \vec{n}=\frac{2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k}}{\sqrt{10}}##

##\vec{v_r}-\vec{v_i}=(x+1)\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}##.
Solving the cross product, I found relations between x, y and z. Using the second relation i.e ##|\vec{v_r}|=1##, I do not get the right answer. :confused:

What is the correct answer?

szynkasz said:
If [itex]\vec{v}_i[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_r[/itex] are ray's unit vectors then [itex](\vec{v}_r-\vec{v}_i)[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]

I do not think so.

Why not?

szynkasz said:
Why not?

Since you did not specify the orientation of the unit vectors, there are four possible combinations. Surely all of them cannot have the property you stated. And whether any particular combo does is yet to be seen.

voko said:
Since you did not specify the orientation of the unit vectors, there are four possible combinations. Surely all of them cannot have the property you stated. And whether any particular combo does is yet to be seen.

The vectors vi and vr are unit vectors of the same directions as the wave vectors of the incident and reflected waves, respectively.

ehild

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The vector for the light ray traveling parallel to x-axis is ##-2\hat{i}##. The incident ray and the reflected ray make equal angle with the normal passing through (2,2,0). The vector associated with the normal at (2,2,0) is ##-2\hat{i}-2\hat{j}-\hat{k}##.
Vi has to be a unit vector, why do you multiply it by 2?
Remember the figure demonstrating reflection. n, the normal vector points outward. Your normal points inward, toward the centre of the sphere.
Vi points toward the surface and Vr points away from it. θ is the angle less than 90° enclosed by both -Vi and Vr.
Otherwise your method is all right, but you need to use the condition that both Vi and Vr are unit vectors. And it would be much easier to use the relation Vr-Vi=2cos(θ)n (where n is the normal unit vector).

ehild

Attachments

• vivr.JPG
    vivr.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Vi has to be a unit vector, why do you multiply it by 2?
Remember the figure demonstrating reflection. n, the normal vector points outward. Your normal points inward, toward the centre of the sphere.
Vi points toward the surface and Vr points away from it. θ is the angle less than 90° enclosed by both -Vi and Vr.
Otherwise your method is all right, but you need to use the condition that both Vi and Vr are unit vectors. And it would be much easier to use the relation Vr-Vi=2cos(θ)n (where n is the normal unit vector).

ehild

Okay, I will rewrite everything.
##\vec{v_i}=-\hat{i}##, ##\displaystyle \vec{v_r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{10}}##. Referring to your sketch,
[tex]\vec{v_i}\cdot \frac{(2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k})}{3}=\cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \cos \theta=\frac{-2}{3}[/tex]
Dot product of reflected and incident ray:
[tex]-\hat{i}\cdot(x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k})=\cos 2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{9}[/tex]
Dot product of normal and reflected ray:
[tex]\frac{(2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k})}{3} \cdot (x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k})=\cos \theta[/tex]
Substituting x and ##\cos \theta##,
[tex]\frac{2}{9}+2y+z=-2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2y+z=-\frac{20}{9}[/tex]
Also,
[tex]\vec{v_r}-\vec{v_i}=2\cos\theta \vec{n}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (x+1)\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}=\frac{-4}{3}\frac{(2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k})}{3}[/tex]
If I compare both the sides,
[tex]x+1=-\frac{8}{9}[/tex]
Solving for x doesn't give 1/9. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Okay, I will rewrite everything.
##\vec{v_i}=-\hat{i}##, ##\displaystyle \vec{v_r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{10}}##. Referring to your sketch,
[tex]\vec{v_i}\cdot \frac{(2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k})}{3}=\cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \cos \theta=\frac{-2}{3}[/tex]

Look at my sketch more carefully. θ<90° is the angle between the incident ray and the normal. [itex]-\vec v_i\cdot\vec n=\cosθ=2/3[/itex]. The angle between vi and the normal is 180-θ.

ehild

Last edited:
There is a simpler approach. Let ##Q## be the point where the ray strikes the surface. Then ##\vec{PQ}## is the incident unit vector, ##\vec{QR}## is the reflected unit vector, ##\vec{QS}## is the unit normal vector. Consider the line passing through ##P## and ##R##. This line intersects with the normal at ##T##. Then the law of reflection implies that ## \vec{PT} = \vec {TR} ##, thus ## \vec{QR} = \vec{QT} + \vec{TR} = \vec{QT} + \vec{PT} = \vec{QT} + \vec{PQ} + \vec{QT} = \vec{PQ} + 2\vec{QT} ##.

voko said:
There is a simpler approach.

Let Pranav work on his own solution.

ehild

ehild said:
Look at my sketch more carefully. θ<90° is the angle between the incident ray and the normal. [itex]-\vec v_i\cdot\vec n=\cosθ=2/3[/itex]. The angle between vi and the normal is 180-θ.ehild
Thanks ehild! :smile:

The correction gives the right result.

voko said:
There is a simpler approach. Let ##Q## be the point where the ray strikes the surface. Then ##\vec{PQ}## is the incident unit vector, ##\vec{QR}## is the reflected unit vector, ##\vec{QS}## is the unit normal vector. Consider the line passing through ##P## and ##R##. This line intersects with the normal at ##T##. Then the law of reflection implies that ## \vec{PT} = \vec {TR} ##, thus ## \vec{QR} = \vec{QT} + \vec{TR} = \vec{QT} + \vec{PT} = \vec{QT} + \vec{PQ} + \vec{QT} = \vec{PQ} + 2\vec{QT} ##.

Nice one voko but I don't see why I can't get the right answer from this.
[tex]\vec{QR}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{PQ}=-\hat{i}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{QT}=\frac{2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k}}{3}[/tex]
Substituting,
[tex](x+1)\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}=2\left(\frac{2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k}}{3}\right)[/tex]
From the above relation, I don't get the correct values for x,y and z. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
[tex]\vec{QT}=\frac{2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k}}{3}[/tex]

This is not ##\vec{QT}##, this is ##\vec{QS}##.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
This is not ##\vec{QT}##, this is ##\vec{QS}##.

Got it, thanks voko! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:

The correction gives the right result.

Splendid :biggrin:

Now, you can see an other hint on my sketch. (It is similar to voko's method.) The red vector is -vi+vr=2ncosθ. n=(2i+2j+k)/3, cosθ=2/3, so vr=(xi+yj+zk)=2ncosθ+vi.

ehild

ehild said:
The red vector is -vi+vr=2ncosθ
Typo?

n=(2i+2j+k)/3, cosθ=2/3, so vr=(xi+yj+zk)=2ncosθ+vi.

ehild

Pranav-Arora said:
Typo?

Why? The vertical components of both vr and -vi are cosθ. They add. The sum points in the direction of the normal, so it is multiplied by the normal unit vector.

whild

ehild said:
Why? The vertical components of both vr and -vi are cosθ. They add. The sum points in the direction of the normal, so it is multiplied by the normal unit vector.

ehild

Ah sorry, I misread it. The minus sign and v_i are shown in separate lines here so I did not notice it. :redface:

1. What is ray optics and how does it relate to reflection from a sphere?

Ray optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light as it travels in straight lines, or rays. It relates to reflection from a sphere because it helps us understand how light behaves when it reflects off a spherical surface.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection from a spherical mirror?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line to the surface, is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle between the reflected ray and the normal line. This is known as the law of reflection and applies to spherical mirrors as well.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex spherical mirror and how do they affect reflection?

A concave spherical mirror curves inward and can produce both real and virtual images, while a convex spherical mirror curves outward and can only produce virtual images. The curvature of the mirror affects the angle of reflection and the location of the image formed.

4. How does the size of an object affect the size of its reflection in a spherical mirror?

The size of an object does not affect the size of its reflection in a spherical mirror. The image formed by a spherical mirror is a scaled version of the object, but the size of the object does not change the scale of the image.

5. What is the focal length of a spherical mirror and how does it affect the reflection of light?

The focal length of a spherical mirror is the distance between the mirror and its focal point, which is the point where parallel rays of light converge or appear to originate from. The focal length affects the position and size of the image formed by the mirror, as well as the magnification of the image.