Ray Tracing for Convex Lens: How to Determine Image Distance and Realness

In summary, the image is real as it is on the opposite side of the lens from the source of light. Using the lens equation, we can find the image distance by setting the object distance to 6cm and the focal length to 3cm, resulting in an image distance of 6cm. The ray tracing for this problem shows that the ray entering parallel with the axis goes through the focus on the other side of the lens, and the ray entering through the focus goes parallel with the axis on the other side.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

lensquestion.png
[/B]
B) Is the image real or virtual? Explain.
C) Using the lens equation, find the image distance.

2. Homework Equations

1/di + 1/do = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
lens.png

B) The image is real because it is on the opposite side of the lens as the source of light.

C) do = 6cm f = 3cm
1/do + 1/di = 1/f
1/di = 1/f - 1/do
1/di = do/f(do) - f/f(do)
1/di = (do-f)/(f*do)
di = (f*do)/(do-f) = (3cm * 6cm)/(6cm - 3cm) = (18cm^2)/(3cm) = 6cm
di = 6cm

Physics news on Phys.org
not too confident about my ray tracing. this is what it shows in the book but i know it differs depending on the situation

toothpaste666 said:
not too confident about my ray tracing. this is what it shows in the book but i know it differs depending on the situation
Your ray tracing is all right. The ray entering parallel with the axis goes through the focus on the other side of the lens.
The ray entering through the focus, goes parallel with the axis on the other side.

Likes toothpaste666
ok i feel a little more confident that i got both of these problems right. thanks for the help

you are welcome.:)

1. What is ray tracing for convex lens?

Ray tracing for convex lens is a technique used to determine the path of light rays as they pass through a convex lens. This technique helps in understanding how images are formed and how the lens behaves in different situations.

2. How does ray tracing work for convex lens?

Ray tracing for convex lens involves drawing a ray diagram with three principal rays to determine the path of light rays through the lens. These rays include the parallel, focal, and center rays. By tracing these rays, we can determine the location and size of the image formed by the lens.

3. What are the properties of images formed by convex lens?

The images formed by convex lens have three main properties: they are real, inverted, and diminished. This means that the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens, it is upside down, and it is smaller in size compared to the object.

4. How does the focal length affect the image formed by convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens determines the size and location of the image formed. A shorter focal length will result in a larger and closer image, while a longer focal length will result in a smaller and farther image.

5. What are some applications of ray tracing for convex lens?

Ray tracing for convex lens has many practical applications, such as in designing and understanding optical instruments like microscopes, telescopes, and cameras. It is also used in the field of optics to analyze and improve the performance of lenses and other optical systems.