Can Rayleigh–Bénard Convection Be Observed at Home?

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convection
In summary, the conversation was about finding information on how to observe Rayleigh-Bénard convection from home. They discussed a book on google books and using Chandrasekhar's "Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability" for modeling. For observing, they suggested using a large flat-bottomed pan with water and shampoo for visibility. The person was grateful for the information.
Jbreezy
Hello,
I was trying to see if anyone knew a site where I could find directions on how to do Rayleigh–Bénard convection from home. I found this book on google books and it started to tell me then the pages jumped from 6 to 9. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean observe the convection or model the convection? For modeling, you can't do much better than to start with Chandrasekhar's "Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability" (Dover). For an experimental system, it's not hard- a large flat-bottomed pan partially filled with water and placed on a hot plate or stovetop. Getting good visibility isn't too hard- these folks used shampoo:

http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/flowvis/galleries/2010/Team-3/Reports/Lisenker_Ilya.pdf

DUDE! Just to observe! Thanks so much you made my day! THANKS THANKS THANKS!

1. What is Rayleigh-Bénard convection?

Rayleigh-Bénard convection is a phenomenon that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, is heated from below and cooled from above in a container. This creates a temperature gradient within the fluid, causing it to move in a circular motion known as convection cells.

2. How does Rayleigh-Bénard convection affect the Earth's weather?

Rayleigh-Bénard convection is a major factor in the formation of weather patterns on Earth. The heating of the Earth's surface by the sun creates temperature differences, which in turn drive convection currents in the atmosphere and oceans. These currents contribute to the movement of air masses, the formation of clouds, and the distribution of heat and moisture around the globe.

3. What is the Rayleigh number in relation to Rayleigh-Bénard convection?

The Rayleigh number is a dimensionless number that is used to determine the onset of convection in a fluid. It is calculated by multiplying the Grashof number, which represents the strength of the buoyancy force, by the Prandtl number, which represents the ratio of momentum diffusivity to thermal diffusivity. A higher Rayleigh number indicates a greater likelihood of convection occurring.

4. What are some practical applications of studying Rayleigh-Bénard convection?

Understanding Rayleigh-Bénard convection has many practical applications, such as predicting weather patterns, improving heat transfer in engineering systems, and studying ocean currents. It is also relevant in fields such as meteorology, geology, and astrophysics.

5. How is Rayleigh-Bénard convection related to the Bénard instability?

The Bénard instability is a type of instability that occurs in a fluid when there is a large temperature difference between the top and bottom surfaces. This instability can lead to Rayleigh-Bénard convection, as the fluid attempts to equalize the temperature difference. Therefore, Rayleigh-Bénard convection is a manifestation of the Bénard instability in a fluid heated from below and cooled from above.