Rayleigh Criterion Maybe?

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rayleigh
In summary, The conversation discusses a question that involves determining the diameter of a lens and the concept of angular resolution. The participants also mention the use of the Rayleigh criterion and the relevance of star color to the question.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused as to how to solve this question. What concept does this question have to do with?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Q17.JPG
    Q17.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Serena said:
Looks to me as if you indeed need the Rayleigh criterion.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telescope#Angular_resolution

How do I get any data from the question? The only thing I can determine is whether the diameter of the lense is small or large. What does the colour of the stars have to do with it?

What is the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe?

The Rayleigh Criterion Maybe is a scientific concept used to determine the minimum resolution required to distinguish two objects as separate from one another.

How does the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe work?

The Rayleigh Criterion Maybe states that the minimum resolvable separation between two objects is defined as the distance at which the first diffraction minimum of one object coincides with the maximum of the other object's diffraction pattern.

Who developed the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe?

The Rayleigh Criterion Maybe was developed by British scientist Lord Rayleigh, also known as John William Strutt, in the late 19th century.

What is the importance of the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe in science?

The Rayleigh Criterion Maybe is important because it allows scientists to determine the limitations of their equipment and the minimum resolution needed to observe and measure objects accurately. It also helps in designing and improving optical instruments.

Is the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe always accurate?

While the Rayleigh Criterion Maybe is a useful tool, it does have limitations. It assumes that the two objects being observed have a uniform intensity distribution and that the observer's eye has perfect vision. In reality, these conditions may not always be met, resulting in potential errors in the determination of the minimum resolvable separation.