1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh jeans formula

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    I am to derive the incorrect Rayleigh-Jeans formula from the correct Planck formula to show why plank's constant does not appear in the Rayleigh-Jeans formula. I should also recall the Stefen-Boltmann Law

here's what I have but I'm stuck...

Rayleigh-Jeans formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

Planks formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex]

so I am thinking I am somehow supposed to get: [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = 1[/tex] but I dont know how to even begin. any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, the Planck formula is [tex] u(\lambda) = \frac{8 \pi}{\lambda^4} \frac{ h c / \lambda}{e^{hc/\lambda k T} - 1} [/tex]. You have an extra factor of [tex] k T [/tex] in your Planck formula which is the source of the confusion. It should now be a simple matter to obtain the Rayleigh-Jeans formula by taking the appropriate limit.

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    so that should lead me to prove that...

[tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]

I am sorry but it is still not apparent how I should go about solving this... as T nears infinity, i get infinity on both sides, so does that prove that [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]?

and how does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law come into play?

5. Feb 14, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For Rayleigh-Jeans, you need to look at what happens the [itex]\lambda[/itex] becomes large.

For Stephan-Boltzmann, you need to look at the total contribution from all wavelengths, i.e., you need to look at

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} u \left( \lambda \right) d \lambda.[/tex]

Make a change of integration variable so that [itex]T[/itex] does not appear explicitly in the integrand. Evaluating the resulting integral requires some specialized knowledge of special function. If you only need to show proportionality to [itex]T^4[/itex], then the integral need not be evaluated. If you need the proportionality constant, use software (e.g., Maple) or tables to evaluate the integral

Regards,
    George

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  6. Feb 14, 2006 #5

when lambda --> infinity, the left hand side becomes 0/0 so I applied hospital's rule to get:

[tex]\frac{hc(-\frac{1}{ \lambda^2})}{\frac{hc}{kT} e^{hc/ \lambda K T}} = kT[/tex]

[tex]\lambda \rightarrow \inf[/tex]

[tex]\frac{hc}{\frac{hc}{kT}}=kT[/tex]

[tex]kT=kT[/tex]

I did not use the stefen-boltzmann law, did I do this correctly?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Feb 14, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I mistunderstood - I thought you wanted to derive Rayleigh-Jeans and Stefan-Boltzmann from Planck.

To derive Rayleigh-Jeans, expand as a series the exponential in Physics Monkey's expression, and find what happens when [itex]\lambda[/itex] becomes large, but not infinite.

Regards,
    George

8. Feb 14, 2006 #7
    the Rayleigh-Jeans formula is: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

while Planck's formula consists of Rayleigh-Jeans but includes [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex] instead of [tex]kT[/tex]

so what I did was set [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex] and solved for when the wavelength was really big, which shows that indeed [tex]\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1} = kT[/tex]

plugging this into Planck's equation, I will get the Rayleigh-Jeans formula:

[tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi }{\lambda^{4}}\frac{hc/ \lambda}{e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1}[/tex]

Rayleigh-Jeans formula: [tex]u(\lambda)=\frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}[/tex]

did it do this right? was I supposed to include the stefen-boltzmann law somewhere in there?

9. Feb 14, 2006 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so - it appears that you've just gone round in a circle.

You need to start with

[tex]u \left( \lambda \right) = \frac{8 \pi hc}{\lambda^{5} \left( e^{hc/ \lambda K T} - 1 \right)},[/tex]

do what I suggested in my previous post, and arrive at

[tex]u \left( \lambda \right) = \frac{8 \pi k T }{\lambda^{4}}.[/tex]

Regards,
    George

10. Feb 16, 2006 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If T is large, then the exponent in [itex] e^{hc/ \lambda kT}[/itex] is small and you can use Bernoulli's formula

[tex] e^{x}=1+x [/tex] valid for "x" very small.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?