1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh number for vertical cylinder with free convection

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Hi @ all,

i want to simulate the cooling behavior of liquid aluminum in a vertical cylinder(simplified geometry of a real transport crucible), the cylinder is cooled down by the surrounding air from all sides, from top and from buttom, i expect free convection in the liquid

to simulate this i have to decide between laminar or tubulent solvers.

i want to decide this by the rayleigh numer Ra>10^9 =turbulent

but i have a problem, i have lots of literature for the convection !!!around!!! a cylinder but zero for the convection !!!inside!!! a vertical cylinder,

so what is the characteristic length for the rayleigh number !!!inside!!!! an vertical cylinder? the diameter or height? do i have to take into account the top and the buttom if yes how?

the correlation equation for D/L>=35/Gr^(1/4) is valid by the way,

if you know a relation/ literature for the nusselt number in this situation, it would be helpful

thx @ all any kind of help is welcome

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted