1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh quotient problem

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a four degree of freedom system that consists of four carts. The four carts each have mass m=1, and they are connected by three springs of constant k=4, 1, 1 respectively.
    Let x, y, z, and w be the displacement from equilibrium of the four carts, relative to the floor.
    The first normal mode has x = y = z = w = 1 and a frequency of 0.
    Guess the second mode shape, that is orthogonal to the first mode, and then use Rayleigh's quotient to estimate the second mode frequency.

2. Relevant equations
    R({v}) = [tex]\frac{v^{T} K v}{v^{T} M v}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already computed
    M = the 4x4 identity
    K = [tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
    4 & -4 & 0 & 0 \\
    -4 & 5 & -1 & 0 \\
    0 & -1 & 2 & -1 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

The first mode shape is [1 1 1 1], so I'm guessing the second mode shape is [3 -1 -1 -1]. I took the liberty of computing the second mode shape, and it's very weird, so I'm going to keep my guess simple.

What follows is how I think you solve the problem.

Let v = a * [1 1 1 1] + b * [3 -1 -1 -1]
    Compute R in terms of a and b.
    If v is a normal mode, then R has a local extrema at v. Additionally, R({v}) is the corresponding mode frequency squared.
    So we find the values of a and b such that dR/da = 0 and dR/db = 0. Then v is the second normal mode and [tex]\sqrt{R}[/tex] is the second mode frequency. Or at least a reasonable estimate.

Am I on track here? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted