Rayleigh Quotient: Finding 2nd Eigenvalue & Vector

In summary: So the minimum will be the second smallest eigenvalue, and the minimizer will be the corresponding eigenvector.Yes, it's the same as the first problem. Just one dimension lower. So the minimum will be the second smallest eigenvalue, and the minimizer will be the corresponding eigenvector."In summary, The rayleigh coefficient can be used to find the second eigenvalue and its corresponding eigenvector of a symmetric n x n matrix A, given orthonormal eigenvectors and eigenvalues. This can be done by minimizing R(x) under the condition that x is not equal to 0 and is orthogonal to the first eigenvector. This minimization problem can be solved using lagrange multipliers and will result in the
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Let A be a symmetric n x n - matrix with eigenvalues and orthonormal eigenvectors [tex](\lambda_k, \xi_k)[/tex] assume ordening: [tex] \lambda_1 \leq...\leq \lambda_n [/tex]

We define the rayleigh coefficient as:

[tex]
R(x) = \frac{(Ax)^T x}{x^T x}
[/tex]Show that the following constrained problem produces the second eigenvalue and its eigenvector:

[tex]
min \left( R(X)| x \neq 0, x \bullet \xi_1 = 0 \right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first part of the exercise I was asked to proof that (without that inproduct being zero) the minimalisation produces the first eigenvalue. The idea was to use lagrange multipliers but I don't how to use it here.

Do I need to use Lagrange multipliers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. The dot product condition tells you that x is ranging over linear combinations c_i*xi_i with c_1=0. It's just the same as the first problem with the first eigenvector thrown out.

Dick said:
Not really. The dot product condition tells you that x is ranging over linear combinations c_i*xi_i with c_1=0.
So if I understand correctly the eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other, right?

and so:

[tex]x= c_2 \cdot \xi_2+...+c_n \cdot \xi_n [/tex]
It's just the same as the first problem with the first eigenvector thrown out.
So I just substitute the above expanded x?

Last edited:
Yes, and minimize over c2,...,cn.

Dick said:
Yes, and minimize over c2,...,cn.
I get this:

[tex]
\frac{\sum_{2=1}^n c_i^2\lambda_i}{\sum_{i=2}^n c_i^2}
[/tex]

but how do I prove that [tex] \lambda_2[/tex] is the minimum? I've tried putting the partial deratives to zeros and failed.

"In the first part of the exercise I was asked to proof that (without that inproduct being zero) the minimalisation produces the first eigenvalue. The idea was to use lagrange multipliers but I don't how to use it here." I thought that meant that you proved the first part using lagrange multipliers. Did you skip that part? Because what you have now looks almost exactly like the first part. If you want to spell out a repetition of the proof of the first part, yes, use lagrange multipliers.

Dick said:
I thought that meant that you proved the first part using lagrange multipliers. Did you skip that part?
No I didn't skip it but I showed there that the minimizer should be an (orthogonal) eigenvector and upon substitution I get a [tex]min( \lambda_i) [/tex] from which the first eigenvalue results.

Because what you have now looks almost exactly like the first part. If you want to spell out a repetition of the proof of the first part, yes, use lagrange multipliers.
With the length of the vector c is one? So the problem is minimize:

[tex] \frac{ \lambda c^Tc}{c^Tc} [/tex] with [tex] \lambda[/tex] and c vectors.

Yes, it's the same as the first problem. Just one dimension lower.

1. What is the Rayleigh Quotient method?

The Rayleigh Quotient method is a mathematical approach used to find the second eigenvalue and eigenvector of a matrix. It involves using an initial estimate for the eigenvalue, calculating the corresponding eigenvector, and then using that eigenvector to refine the eigenvalue estimate. This process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

2. Why is the Rayleigh Quotient method useful?

The Rayleigh Quotient method is useful because it allows for the determination of the second eigenvalue and eigenvector of a matrix, which can provide important insights into the behavior and characteristics of a system or process described by the matrix. This method is also more efficient and accurate than other methods for finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

3. How is the Rayleigh Quotient calculated?

The Rayleigh Quotient is calculated by taking the ratio of the dot product of the matrix and the eigenvector to the dot product of the eigenvector with itself. In mathematical notation, it can be written as: R = (xTAx) / (xTx) where A is the matrix and x is the eigenvector.

4. What are the applications of the Rayleigh Quotient method?

The Rayleigh Quotient method has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to analyze the stability of a system, calculate natural frequencies and modes of vibration, and solve differential equations. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Rayleigh Quotient method?

One limitation of the Rayleigh Quotient method is that it can only be used to find the second eigenvalue and eigenvector of a matrix. It cannot be used to find other eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, this method may not work for matrices with complex eigenvalues. It is also important to choose a good initial estimate for the eigenvalue to ensure accurate results.