Rayleigh Refractometer index of refraction

In summary: R is given by R = \frac{m_e e^4}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 \hbar^3}In summary, gamma is a proportionality constant that is a function of the T and p and the Rydberg constant.
n0_3sc
When constructing a Rayleigh Refractometer the formula for the refractive index of a gas at pressure P and temperature T is:

mu(P,T) - 1 = (gamma) P/T
where,
mu(P,T) = refractive index as a function of pressure and temperature
and
gamma = [n(lambda)Ta]/[L(deltaP)]
where,
n = fringe number
lambda = wavelength
Ta = Ambient room Temperature
L = length of tube containing the gas
and
deltaP = change in pressure causing the movement in fringes.

My question is how do you prove gamma? - I cannot find this in any physics/optics book.

Any suggestions on where to start or look will be good.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is gamma? The frequency?

If I'm understanding the rest correctly, you have two tubes filled with gasses of different refractive index. One is known and the other is not.

If [tex] n_1 &=& 1[/tex] then the number of wavelengths needed to traverse the tube is [tex] m_1 &=& \frac{L n_1}{\lambda_{vacuum}}[/tex]. Likewise the number of wavelengths need to traverse the second tube is [tex] m_2 &=& \frac{L n_2}{\lambda_{vacuum}}[/tex].

yeah I already knew those formula's you listed.
Gamma is a proportionality constant. I think the lecturer just manipulated one of the "Jamin Inteferometer" formulas into this form and used gamma to represent part of the over all equation.

Well it looks like gamma is a function of the T and p and
[tex]\frac{T}{p} = \frac{V}{moles\cdot R}[/tex]
Since your volume is fixed I imagine that gamma must be a function of number of moles and the Rydberg constant. The Rydberg constant is given by
[tex]R_\infty = \frac{m_e e^4}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 \hbar^3 4 \pi c} = 1.0973731568525(73) \cdot 10^7 \,\mathrm{m}^{-1}[/tex]
I'm not sure if the Rydberg constant is fixed or not, although it is referred to as a constant.

I'm not sure how the following relates but the refractive index can also be represented as
[tex]n=\sqrt{\epsilon_r\mu_r}[/tex]

Do you have a fixed number of moles?

Last edited:
Wait. I think I made a mistake. R is NOT the Rydberg constant. It is the ideal gas constant.

What is a Rayleigh Refractometer index of refraction?

A Rayleigh refractometer index of refraction is a measurement of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol "n".

How does a Rayleigh refractometer measure index of refraction?

A Rayleigh refractometer works by measuring the angle at which light is bent as it passes through a sample of the material being tested. This angle is then used to calculate the index of refraction using Snell's law, which relates the angle of incidence and refraction to the indices of refraction of the two materials.

What is the importance of measuring index of refraction?

The index of refraction is an important physical property of a material that affects how light behaves when passing through it. It is used in a variety of fields, including optics, materials science, and chemistry, to characterize and identify different substances.

Can a Rayleigh refractometer measure the index of refraction of all materials?

No, a Rayleigh refractometer is only suitable for measuring the index of refraction of transparent materials, such as liquids and solids. It is not suitable for measuring the index of refraction of opaque materials, such as metals.

How accurate is a Rayleigh refractometer for measuring index of refraction?

The accuracy of a Rayleigh refractometer depends on several factors, including the quality of the instrument, the skill of the operator, and the properties of the material being tested. Generally, a well-calibrated refractometer can provide accurate results with an error of less than 0.0002.