1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh-Ritz homework problem

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to figure out the trial function for the Laguerre equation,

[tex]xy''+(1-x)y'+ny=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found multiple examples of the Rayleigh Ritz method on google, however, I am completely dumbfounded as to where the trial functions are coming from, my professor is making an absolute meal out of variational methods in calculus and not managing to explain anything well at the same time.

Any hints or references to somewhere which might be able to explain better would be great.

I have gotten Laguerres equation into sturm-liouville form and I know that generally the trial function is [tex]y(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}c_iu_i[/tex] but that really isn't helping me figure out where example specific trial functions are coming from.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2
    If I remember correctly, when you are using the Rayleigh Ritz method, don't you choose the trial functions so that they satisfy the boundary conditions exactly?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted