Rayleigh-scattering and dipole Common characters?

• Thread starter Stylewriter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipole
In summary, Rayleigh scattering in X-rays is a type of diffusion of electromagnetic radiation on matter particles, specifically small dipoles. It occurs when the wavelength of the X-ray radiation is greater than the dipole size, causing the dipole to oscillate under an electric field and produce scattered waves in different directions. This is a classical effect and may not be valid in the presence of quantum effects.
Stylewriter
Hello!

This time I've got a question about the "Rayleigh-scattering" in X-Rays.
The Rayleigh-scattering says, that the x-ray changes it direction only without "loosing" energy.
Why does this happen and what has it to do with dipoles? My university professor told me, that the Rayleigh-scattering has something to do with dipoles.
I can't find anything in books about that. I hope you could help me, that I can understand this problem.
Thanks a lot!

Science news on Phys.org
There are several types of diffusion of em.radiation on matter particles,even in the classical theory of electromagnetism.

Rayleigh diffusion,treated thoroughly in Jackson's book,indeed assumes the variation of the wave vector only in direction,and not in modulus.

Daniel.

It is because Lord Rayleigh considered scattering on small dipoles. The power emmitted by dipole is proportional to the frequency^4, so the scattered wave becames stronger at highier frequencies (that is why the sky is blue)

I am not sure if I understand this... If we've got an atom like H and we firing x-ray at it, does it then oscillate (like a dipole) and scatters the x-ray into another direction? And in WHAT direction?
Am I totally wrong with that? ;)

First of all, the Rayleigh scattering takes places when wavelength is greater then the dipole size. So not any X-ray scattering on atoms can be considered in that approximation.

Second, if a wavelength of the X-ray radiation is bigger then the dipole size, we can assume that the dipole is under an oscillating electric field, thus it oscillates itself. The combination of original wave and the wave due to dipole radiation produces the scattering, because the dipole does not radiate flat wave. So instead of original flat wave we have waves propagating in different directions.

Third, I did not say anything about quantum. That was done deliberately, because it the the nature of the Rayleigh approximation, it is a classical effect. The mechanism will be no longer valid if quantum effects are important.

1. What is Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is a phenomenon in which light is scattered by particles smaller than the wavelength of the light. This scattering causes the sky to appear blue and the sunset to appear red.

2. What is the relationship between Rayleigh scattering and dipole common characters?

The relationship between Rayleigh scattering and dipole common characters lies in the fact that both phenomena involve the interaction of light with particles or molecules. In Rayleigh scattering, the particles are smaller than the wavelength of light, while in dipole common characters, the molecules have an electric dipole moment that causes them to interact with light.

3. How does Rayleigh scattering affect the color of the sky?

Rayleigh scattering is responsible for the blue color of the sky because the shorter blue wavelengths of light are scattered more easily by the particles in the Earth's atmosphere. This causes the blue light to be scattered in all directions, making the sky appear blue to our eyes.

4. Can Rayleigh scattering occur in other media besides air?

Yes, Rayleigh scattering can occur in other media besides air, such as water or glass. However, the amount of scattering will depend on the size and composition of the particles or molecules in the medium.

5. How does the intensity of scattered light in Rayleigh scattering change with wavelength?

The intensity of scattered light in Rayleigh scattering varies inversely with the fourth power of the wavelength. This means that shorter wavelengths, such as blue light, are scattered more easily and with a higher intensity compared to longer wavelengths, such as red light.