Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh–Bénard convection

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I was trying to see if anyone knew a site where I could find directions on how to do Rayleigh–Bénard convection from home. I found this book on google books and it started to tell me then the pages jumped from 6 to 9. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you mean observe the convection or model the convection? For modeling, you can't do much better than to start with Chandrasekhar's "Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability" (Dover). For an experimental system, it's not hard- a large flat-bottomed pan partially filled with water and placed on a hot plate or stovetop. Getting good visibility isn't too hard- these folks used shampoo:

http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/flowvis/galleries/2010/Team-3/Reports/Lisenker_Ilya.pdf

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    DUDE! Just to observe! Thanks so much you made my day! THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook