1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rayleigh–Ritz method - Yukawa coulomb potential

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been given the testfunction [itex] \phi(\alpha, r)=\sqrt{(\frac{\alpha^3}{\pi})}exp(-\alpha r) [/itex], and the potential [itex] V(r,\theta, \phi)=V(r)=-\frac{e^2}{r}exp(\frac{-r}{a}) [/itex]
    Given that I have to write down the hamiltonian (in spherical coordinates I assume), and I have to calculate the angular momentum operator [itex] \hat{L}^2 \phi [/itex]. (This is only a part of the whole problem. a) of a), b) and c) They should have used some other symbol for the testfunction than [itex]\phi[/itex], it's kinda confusing)

2. Relevant equations
    Angular momentum operator in spherical coordinates.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess the answer is 0, because [itex] \hat{L}^2 \phi [/itex] contains derivations of [itex]\theta, \phi[/itex] which the testfunction doesn't depend on. Is this true?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes that's true. Another way to look at it is to realize that the test function is proportional to ##Y_0^0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted