Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rays in Hilbert space

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    I am wondering, what is the dimension of a ray in a Hilbert space? For example here (page 2, bottom of page) I have read:

I understand why a state is represented by all multiples of a vector, not just the vector. But is the ray really one-dimensional? It would be one-dimensional if we multiply the vector by real numbers. But we are multiplying it by complex numbers. Along one-dimensional ray we could fully determine the vector multiple by a single real number. However with complex numbers there is one additional degree of freedom. Thus for each position along one-dimensional ray there are infinitely many choices for one additional parameter.

Or "one-dimension" here means a complex dimension, i.e. 2 real dimensions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Yes, one complex dimension. The state space is a complex Hilbert space, so the scalars are understood to be complex numbers.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Introducing a second dimension would mean to introduce a direction perpendicular to a given ray. This can't be done by multiplication with a scalar.

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4
    Thank you very much.

Thank you for clarifying that, I did not realize it is a complex dimension. However if I "split" each dimension of the Hilbert space into 2 dimensions (the Real and Imaginary part of each particular complex dimension), then multiplication of a vector by a complex scalar does introduce movement in 2 dimensions: the Real and Imaginary part of each complex dimension. Is that correct? Because a complex number has 2 components, so it can carry information about 2 dimensional shifts.

6. Apr 29, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's right. But when you do that, you're looking at the Hilbert space as a space over ##\mathbb{R}##. Nothing wrong with that. But the rays of the Hilbert space as a space over ##\mathbb{R}## will have dimension ##2##.
    So if you encounter the word one-dimensional, then you should know it is the complex dimension (the space over ##\mathbb{C}##), and not the dimension of the space over ##\mathbb{R}##.

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6
    Thank you, it's clear to me now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook