1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RBCs in an ionic solution

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    Is there a range of salt in which red blood cells can survive in an isotonic solution. My current understanding is that they can survive in a 0.9% w/v NaCl isotonic solution. But can that number be varied to a range of different amounts of NaCl in which they can survive for any amount of time long enough to take some measurements?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To answer this, you would have to know something about the salt content of RBCs to determine if there is a normal range of concentrations. Otherwise, I'm wondering if you fully understand the term isotonic. The way your question is worded sounds like you might not...but I could be wrong. Why don't you define isotonic so we can see if you have it right, since that's important for answering this question.

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    A solution with the same concentration of salt as cells.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?