RBS spectrum

1. I was given a sample, that it is suppossed to be a medium thickness Rhodium on top of an infinite silicon waffer. The experimental RBS spectrum along with the simulation looks like that

[​IMG]

Apparently, there is another element(or maybe 2) that appear on the experimental spectrum.

I am relatively new to RBS, so I find rather confusing to see two narrow peaks, so close to each other on the substrate part of the spectrum.

If the waffer wasn't pure, I would expect some steps, rather than peaks. The way I see it, it's an indication of a possible thin and light layer of unknown elements. How to specify which elements could that be?

Is there also a way to find out if it is really another layer and its position?

On a second look, it seems that the real spectrum has less events that the simulated, which could be an indication of a non pure Rhodium sample. The question is, which element(s) is responsible for the possible impurity?

2. jcsd
  3. mfb

Staff: Mentor

Do you see the same peaks without your sample?
    Could that be background from some radioactive material?

4. Unfortunately, all I've got is the attached experimental data;nothing else...

It's a possible scenario, but I doubt if I can prove it with the simulation.

One thaught, was that the vacuum wasn't well built, so I thought to add a layer of oxygen and nitrus. Unfortunately I couldn't adapt this scenarion to the simulation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted