Creating a Remote Control Car with Arduino and Raspberry Pi

In summary, the speaker is working on a personal project involving using an Arduino Uno for controller and a Raspberry Pi for running the code and connecting to a school's wifi to control a car with WASD. They plan to eventually add a camera and are seeking help with getting control information through USB connected wifi to the RPi. They are considering using an XBEE for wireless communication.
NaughtyBear
So I have looked over a few other posts and do not feel like they are covering what I would like done. So I am currently using an Arduino Uno for the controller and am wanting to use an onboard Raspberry Pi in order to run the code and will be attached to my schools wifi in order to have a server to use WASD in order to move the car around. Like in a video game! So I will have a 4 slot USB hub on one of the Raspberry Pi's 2 slots and I will attach a wifi stick to it so it may connect. As time goes on, I would like to put a camera on in order to see what I am doing. But this will require me being able to connect to something. I able to control the car with WASD, but only if I am directly connected to my computer and I am unsure of what I am missing. This is a personal project that I thought would be cool and it keeps me busy. So any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not a software engineer, but I'll try to help.

You say you can control with WASD from your computer connected to the RPi's USB. (That's quite a big step) Are you using RPC or something similar.

So you are having problems getting control information through USB connected wifi to the RPi? Can you see the RPi file system through the wifi?

It seems that you need the remote command structure you use through the USB to work though wifi connected to USB. If you can see the RPi filesystem, then you have the IP address, so it seems all should simply work. You need to tell me what I am missing.

So you have the base software working, but you need some wireless method of communication. I recommended using an XBEE. We used one with our UAV. They are good for hobbyist and very compatible with the raspberry pi and arduino.

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/xbee_guide

1. How does the Arduino and Raspberry Pi work together to create a remote control car?

The Arduino acts as the controller for the remote control car, sending signals to the Raspberry Pi to control the motors and other components. The Raspberry Pi acts as the brain, processing these signals and controlling the car's movements.

2. Do I need any prior experience with programming or electronics to create a remote control car with Arduino and Raspberry Pi?

While some basic knowledge of programming and electronics may be helpful, there are many beginner-friendly tutorials and resources available to guide you through the process. With dedication and patience, anyone can learn to create a remote control car with Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

3. Can I use any type of motor or other components for my remote control car?

Yes, as long as the motor and components are compatible with the Arduino and Raspberry Pi, you can use any type you want. However, it is important to carefully research and select components that are suitable for your specific project.

4. Is it possible to add additional features to my remote control car, such as a camera or sensors?

Absolutely! The versatility of the Arduino and Raspberry Pi allows for the incorporation of various features and sensors into your remote control car. With some additional programming and wiring, you can customize your car to your liking.

5. How can I troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the building process?

If you encounter any problems during the building process, there are many online communities and forums dedicated to Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects where you can seek help and advice. Additionally, carefully following tutorials and double-checking wiring and coding can help prevent issues from arising in the first place.