1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuit 2

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Three resistors and a capacitor are in a circuit with a battery:
    R1 = 23 Ω
    R2 = 13 Ω
    R3 = 15 Ω
    C = 6.2 µF
    V = 17 V
    The switch has been closed for a long time. What will the charge be on the capacitor 195 μs after the switch is opened?

picture
    https://online-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys212/fall09/homework/06/11_paired/image.gif [Broken]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WHat are your thoughts on the matter? Is this a charging or discharging capacitor 195 μs after the switch is opened? What are the relevant equations to describe this?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    ok well the capacitor is fully charged, so the voltage of the capacitor is the same as the battery, from there i can find the max charge. then i used the equation Qmax(1-e^(t/CR))
    where i used 28 for the resistance. but thats not giving me the right answer

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try again. The voltage across the capacitor is the same as across the series combination R2+R3. That's not the voltage across the battery. What is it?

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    That's not the only problem. The current through C is not the current through either R1 or R2+R3 so you can't use those in Qmax(1-e^(t/CR) either.

I recommend replacing V, R1, R2 and R3 with their Thevenin equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook