1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuit Analysis

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use current equation and find di/dt expression, hence show if initial gradient were maintained the current would be 0 after 1 time constant.

2. Relevant equations

I calculated RC to be 0.5s i=0.02e^-t/0.5

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved di/dt to be

-0.04e^-2t

i'm stuck where to go next though, can anyone help? Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2013 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are not mind readers, please post a COMPLETE problem description and show us your work.

4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    Sorry I didn't realise it was linked.The initial circuit was an RC circuit with 100v source in series with a 100uf capacitor and 5kohm resistor.I was then tasked with graphing i vs t for the first 3 seconds and drawing it.After 3 seconds i=5*10^-5

The formula for i was given as 0.02e^-2t

Then calculated CR to be 0.5

Then I had to draw a tangent and estimate the gradient which came out at 0.02/-1.1=-0.018

Then came the question that was asked, hope that helps.

5. Nov 25, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You differentiated to find the general equation for gradient as a function of time? Well, when you need to know the gradient at some time t1 you simply substitute the value of t1 for t in your general equation for gradient.

Initial gradient is usually the gradient when t = 0 secs.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5
    Thanks, so the gradient would be -0.04, so after 0.5s( one time constant) the current will have dropped by 0.02, so the current will be 0 after one time constant.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted