RC Circuit Analysis: Find di/dt & Show Current=0 After 1 Time Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the di/dt expression for a current through a circuit and using it to show that if the initial gradient is maintained, the current will be zero after one time constant. The conversation also includes a discussion of drawing a tangent to estimate the gradient and how to use the general equation for gradient as a function of time.
jendrix

Homework Statement

Use current equation and find di/dt expression, hence show if initial gradient were maintained the current would be 0 after 1 time constant.

Homework Equations

I calculated RC to be 0.5s i=0.02e^-t/0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved di/dt to be

-0.04e^-2t

i'm stuck where to go next though, can anyone help? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
We are not mind readers, please post a COMPLETE problem description and show us your work.

Sorry I didn't realize it was linked.The initial circuit was an RC circuit with 100v source in series with a 100uf capacitor and 5kohm resistor.I was then tasked with graphing i vs t for the first 3 seconds and drawing it.After 3 seconds i=5*10^-5

The formula for i was given as 0.02e^-2t

Then calculated CR to be 0.5

Then I had to draw a tangent and estimate the gradient which came out at 0.02/-1.1=-0.018

Then came the question that was asked, hope that helps.

You differentiated to find the general equation for gradient as a function of time? Well, when you need to know the gradient at some time t1 you simply substitute the value of t1 for t in your general equation for gradient.

Initial gradient is usually the gradient when t = 0 secs.

Thanks, so the gradient would be -0.04, so after 0.5s( one time constant) the current will have dropped by 0.02, so the current will be 0 after one time constant.Thanks so much for your help. :)

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electronic devices, such as filters, timers, and oscillators.

2. How do you analyze an RC circuit?

To analyze an RC circuit, you need to use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. First, you can use Kirchhoff's laws to write equations for the current and voltage in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage across the resistor and the current through the circuit.

3. What is di/dt in an RC circuit?

di/dt, or the rate of change of current, is an important concept in RC circuit analysis. It represents the change in current over time, and it can be used to calculate the time constant of the circuit.

4. How do you find di/dt in an RC circuit?

To find di/dt in an RC circuit, you can use the formula di/dt = -V/R, where V is the voltage across the capacitor and R is the resistance of the circuit. This formula can be derived from the capacitor charging equation, Q = CV, and Ohm's law.

5. What happens to the current in an RC circuit after one time constant?

After one time constant, the current in an RC circuit will decrease to zero. This is because the capacitor will be fully charged, and it will act as an open circuit, preventing any further current from flowing. This is known as the steady-state condition.