• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

RC circuit and a capacitor

• Thread starter caramelgt
  • Start date
In the following circuit R1 = 12.9 Ohms, R2 = 3 Ohms, V = 39 Volts, and C = 10.1 micro-Farads. If one waits 2 time constants after the battery has been connected (charge in capacitor is zero before the battery is connected), what is the voltage across R1 in volts? Hint: first find the charge in capacitor after this amount of time, and then find the voltage across the capacitor. Use a loop rule to find voltage across the equivalent resistor and use this to find the current in the circuit at this time.

I attached a picture.

I tried solving it by first using Q = CV to find Qmax. My Qmax was 393.9 micro coulombs. I then multiplied this number by 0.63 because 1-e^(-2/2) is 0.63. This number was 248 micro coul. After finding this number i plugged it back into the Q = CV equation to solve for the new V and I got 24.57. I thought I could subtract the V's and get the answer, but its not working out. Can someone help me out?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Delphi51
Homework Helper
Actually, I'm looking for the new voltage. The answer is 4.28, but I cant seem to find the right steps to get that.

Delphi51
Homework Helper
Once you have that 34 V (34 is approximate) on the capacitor, you can find the current in the circuit at time 2RC using I = V/R = (39-34)/15.9 = 0.31 Amps. The V across the R1 is then 4 Volts or so.

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
While the charging of the capacitor
Q = CV[1 - e^-(t/RC)]
I = dQ/dt = CV*(1/RC)[e^-t/RC] = (V/R)[e^-t/RC]
Put t = 2RC and R = R1+R2 and find I. Then voltage across R1.