1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit and pulse width

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Hi, I have a question. So, I've built this simple RC circuit. Of course, the pulse width is then obtained from the oscilloscope. But, according to equation Vo(t) = E(e^(-t/RC)), the value t (pulse width) is larger. Considering the resistor, condenser, Voh, Vil, IC delay, and others, how should I say why above situations happened?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Given the total lack of specifics, it's hard to say. Perhaps you did a wrong calculation. How could we know since you have not given any actual values for anything?

4. May 19, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not the equation for the pulse width, just the voltage on the capacitor.

In most (all?) RC pulse generators what matters is the time it takes for the voltage on the capacitor to go from one pre-set voltage to another. Those voltages depend on the circuit (which you haven't detailed).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted