Is the Current Zero When a Capacitor is Fully Charged?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of current in an RC circuit with a capacitor and resistor. The initial current is not zero, as the capacitor has a charge and potential difference that allows for current flow when the switch is closed. The answer for part b is correct, as confirmed by using Kirchoff's loop rule.
charlies1902
I attached the problem. Is the answer they have for part b wrong? shouldn't the current be 0?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 463
  • d.png
    d.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say it is right. The capacitor chargers to a value equal to the voltage of the source, E. Upon moving to position B, the capacitor discharges but you can assume that at t=0- the voltage across the capacitor is indeed E.This is the instantaneous current at t=0-, which degrades as t increases.

Yes and no.
At the level the problem is set (in terms of ideal components): no (the initial current should not be zero).
Initially in the RC circuit, the capacitor does not resist the flow of current so the current in the circuit is the same as through the resistor alone.

Perhaps you are thinking that since the switch is open at the start, then there must be zero current at the instant the switch is closed?

charlies1902 said:
I attached the problem. Is the answer they have for part b wrong? shouldn't the current be 0?

Nope. The current won't be zero. The capacitor has a charge on it, hence a potential difference. When the switch is closed on position b, that potential difference "sees" a path through the resistor. So current flows immediately.

ah I see I got my concept wrong. I thought that when a capacitor is fully charged, the current would be 0. I just did kirkoffs loop rule and got their answer. thanks.

1. What is an RC circuit discharge?

An RC circuit discharge is a process in which a capacitor in a circuit releases stored electrical energy through a resistor. This typically occurs when the circuit is switched off or when the capacitor is connected to a different circuit.

2. How does an RC circuit discharge work?

During the discharge process, the capacitor releases its stored energy through the resistor, which dissipates the energy as heat. The rate of discharge is determined by the values of the capacitor and resistor, as well as the voltage across the capacitor.

3. What is the equation for RC circuit discharge?

The equation for RC circuit discharge is V(t) = V0e-t/RC, where V(t) is the voltage across the capacitor at time t, V0 is the initial voltage across the capacitor, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. How long does it take for an RC circuit to discharge?

The time it takes for an RC circuit to discharge can be calculated using the equation t = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads. This time is known as the time constant and represents the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to about 63% of its initial voltage.

5. How can I calculate the voltage across a capacitor during RC circuit discharge?

To calculate the voltage across a capacitor during RC circuit discharge at a specific time, you can use the equation V(t) = V0e-t/RC, where V0 is the initial voltage across the capacitor, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the discharge curve and find the voltage at a specific time.