1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit energy dissipation

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capacitor C=8.00*10^-8F which has an initial charge q=1.4*10^-6C starts to discharge through a resistor R=3.00*10^6Ω at time t=0. Determine the total energy W dissipated as thermal energy in the resistor. Hint: use energy conservation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I already found U(0)=1.225e-5J (energy stored in capacitor at t=0), but how do I use energy conservation to find W?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2
    When the capacitor is completely discharged, where has the stored energy gone?

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    are you saying all the energy goes to heat so U=W?

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4
    Yes! ...are you certain this was the whole question? The value of the resistance does not affect the energy transfer...do you know what it will affect?

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    yes, thank you, it was the whole question, but there were parts before it.
    This was part e I believe.

I was a little skeptical about U=W because this part is worth 7 points, which makes U=W seem too simple.

7. Jul 29, 2013 #6
    What was the whole question?

8. Jul 29, 2013 #7
    (it was actually part d. my bad!)

A capacitor C=8.00*10^-8F which has an initial charge q=1.4*10^-6C starts to discharge through a resistor R=3.00*10^6Ω at time t=0. Determine the following:

a. (3points) the time constant (tau) of the circuit.
    b. (5points) the current i at t=(tau)
    c. (4points) the energy U(0) at t=0
    d. (7points) the total energy W dissipated as thermal energy in the resistor
    e. (6points) the time which the energy U is equal to 25% of U(0)

I figured out the other parts, but d looked suspicious since it is worth more than all other questions but apparently has the same answer as c.

9. Jul 29, 2013 #8
    oh, and for your question there, I believe resistance affects the time constant RC which affects the rate of the capacitor's discharging.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted