1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuit:placement of capacitor on circuit

1. Apr 30, 2004 #1
    In a series RC circuit, why does the capacitor need to be placed between the resistor and ground, and not between the resistor and voltage source. I have looked everywhere to find the reason, so if you could help it would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

It doesn't. Did someone tell you that it did? (btw, if the other terminal of the voltage source is grounded, then the capacitor is kind of also connected between the resistor and source anyway).

4. May 1, 2004 #3
    The question my Prof. asked was worded like this: In the series RC circuit, explain why it would have been incorrect to place the capacitor between the resistor and the voltage source such that the resistor gets connected to ground. He has never given a trick question before, so I did not even consider that it would make no difference where the capacitor was placed.

5. May 3, 2004 #4

turin

Homework Helper

It makes a difference if you have other elements connected to the circuit. But, if all you've got is a V, an R, and a C, all in one loop (in series), then the current and voltage signals for all of the elements will be the same. The nodal values will be different (in fact, the nodal structure will be fundamentally different), but the difference does not warrant calling the connections "incorrect." You should probably show us "the" circuit. Otherwise, I maintain my original response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?