1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rc circuit- please help

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capacitor is placed parallel across a resistive load in a circuit. C= 0.829*10-6 F and R = 229 ohms. What fraction of the current goes through the capacitor when the frequency is 100 sec-1?

2. Relevant equations
    I(resistor) = V/R
    I(capacitor) = C * (dV/dt) = ω*C*V (?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ic / (Ir + Ic) = [ω*C*V] / [(V/R) + (ω*C*V)] reduces to [ω*C*R] / [1 + ω*C*R]
    The answer I got was 0.106569. I don't know if the work is wrong or if the format of my answer wrong, like is that the "fraction" or do I have to do something else to it? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

The problem here is that I_tot does not equal Ir+Ic. The instantaneous current at any point in time does obey I_tot=Ir+Ic, but not the effective current in an AC circuit. You have to calculate the total effective current in a different way (what way?)

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    The only thing I can find is for an RC circuit in series. is it the same for parallel?

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    do you mean I_tot (sqrt 2)? can someone please help me it's almost due :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook