1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: RC circuit problem

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the charge on the capacitor?

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchoff's rule
    change in V =q/c

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to use Kirchoff rule but I don't know if this is the right way to go.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the capacitor is completely charges, there is no current in that branch. The voltage across the capacitor is the potential difference across 40 ohm resistor.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Ya, I was able to figure out that the charge on the resistor would be 80 microCoulombs . The voltage difference between the plates of the capacitor was 40 volts and from there it was plugging in. Now I face another problem where I can't find how long it will take the capacitor to discharge to 25% of 80 microCoulombs. I derived that it should be -RC*ln(1/4)=t. I plug in R= 50, c = 2 and get the wrong answer :/

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

t = 2 μF.

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    How does t = 2 MICROFARADS? Don't you mean seconds or milliseconds? I don't quite understand your logic though. Doesn't the capacitor discharge through 2 resistors that become 50 ohms?

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Sorry.It is typo. I mean C = 2 μF. Your R is correct. You didn't mention your answer.

8. Mar 28, 2010 #7
    Well then it would be -RC*ln(1/4) = -(50)(2)*ln(1/4)= 138.63 ms but that is somehow wrong.. :/

9. Mar 29, 2010 #8
    Oh stupid me! I freakin' forgot to convert the units... it should be 138.63 microseconds or .1386 milliseconds.

Thanks for the help! :P

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook