RC Circuit: Phase & Magnitude of Current

In summary, the conversation discusses an RC circuit with a capacitor and resistor connected in series to an AC voltage source. The frequency and voltage of the source are given, and questions are asked about the phase and magnitude of the current in the circuit. The equations for impedance and current are used to calculate the phase and magnitude, and the final results show that the current leads the voltage by 27.9 degrees and has a magnitude of 1/5.66. The calculations and results are deemed correct.
tjr39

Homework Statement

Given an RC circuit which has a Capacitor[itex] (C=6\times 10^{-6} F) [/itex] and a resistor [itex](R=5 \Omega) [/itex]conected in series to an a.c. voltage source of the form [itex]v=V_{0} e^{j\omega t} [/itex]with a [itex]V_{0}[/itex]=1 Volt. Frequency f=10kHz
a)What is the phase of the current with respect to the applied voltage?
b) What is the magnitude of the current?

Homework Equations

[itex]Z=Z_{R}+Z_{C}[/itex]

[itex]Z_{C}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]

Z=x+jy where j=[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]

Z=ze[itex]^{j \phi}[/itex] with z=[itex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] and [itex] \phi =tan^{-1}[/itex][itex] \frac{y}{x} [/itex]

[itex] \omega = 2\pi \times f[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \frac{1}{\omega C} = 2.65[/itex]

Z=R+ [itex] \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]

=5-2.65j

Which can be written as [itex]Z=ze^{j\phi}[/itex]

[itex]z=\sqrt{5^{2}+2.65^{2}}=5.66[/itex]

[itex]\phi =tan^{-1}\frac{-2.65}{5}=-27.9 degrees[/itex]

Since [itex]i=\frac{V_{0}}{z}e^{j(\omega t-\phi)}[/itex] then I can say the current leads the voltage by 27.9 degrees.

And I can also say the magnitude of the current i is equal to [itex]\frac{V_{0}}{z}=\frac{1}{5.66}[/itex]

How did I go?? Am I on track anywhere at all or have I made a bit of a mess of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The calculations look fine. The results are good.

Everything look allright.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or in parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. What is the phase difference in an RC circuit?

The phase difference in an RC circuit refers to the difference in the timing or alignment of the voltage and current signals. In a series RC circuit, the voltage and current signals are in phase, meaning they reach their maximum and minimum values at the same time. In a parallel RC circuit, the current signal leads the voltage signal by a phase angle of 90 degrees.

3. How is the magnitude of current calculated in an RC circuit?

The magnitude of current in an RC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law (I=V/R) or by using the equation I= C(dV/dt), where C is the capacitance of the capacitor and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.

4. How does the value of the resistor and capacitor affect the phase and magnitude of current in an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor and capacitor affects the phase and magnitude of current in an RC circuit. A higher value of resistance will result in a lower current, while a higher value of capacitance will result in a higher current. The phase difference also depends on the values of R and C, with a larger phase angle for a larger RC time constant (RC=T).

5. How does an RC circuit behave in AC and DC circuits?

In AC circuits, an RC circuit acts as a low-pass filter, allowing low frequencies to pass through while attenuating high frequencies. In DC circuits, the capacitor acts as an open circuit, blocking the flow of current. However, when the DC source is first connected, the capacitor acts as a short circuit until it is fully charged, allowing a brief surge of current to pass through.