Solve RC Circuit Question: Charge Q1(t2)

In summary, when the switch S1 is closed at time t1, the resistors in parallel give q at t1 equal to:{C_1}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{(R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}})
valarking

Homework Statement

All capacitors of the open circuit in fig. 3 are discharged when, at time t=0, the switch S1 is closed. At some point later, at time t = t1, the switchS2 is also closed. What is the charge Q1(t2) on the capacitor C1 at time t = t2 > t1?

http://www.vkgfx.com/misc/fig3.jpg

Homework Equations

Charging capacitor:
[tex]q = C\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{RC}})[/tex]
Discharging capacitor:
[tex]q = {Q_0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I said that when S1 was closed at t1, the resistors arein parallel, giving q at t1 equal to:
[tex]{C_1}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{(R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}})[/tex]

Now the thing I need help with is determining the equivalent resistance when S2 is closed. The best I can think of is that only R2 and R4 are acting. That would give:
[tex]{C_1}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{(R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}})e^{\frac{-t}{(R_2+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}}[/tex]

Can anyone help me determine the resistance in this last step? I'm out of ideas.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When S2 is closed, you are creating a short circuit. Hence no charging will take place. But initially charged capacitors will discharge through R3 and R4.

So would the time constant for the discharging period be (R3+R4)(C1+C2)?

Yes.

Ok, that would give:
[tex]{C_1}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{(R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}})e^{\frac{-t}{(R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}}[/tex]
as the answer then.

Thanks for your help.

valarking said:
Ok, that would give:
[tex]{C_1}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{(R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}})e^{\frac{-t}{(R_3+R_4)(C_1+C_2)}}[/tex]
as the answer then.

Thanks for your help.
The above expression is the combined charge on C1 and C2 at time t2. Bur in the problem you require charge on C1 only.

I thought that both capacitors were used in RC, the time constant, and that C1 was used by itself only when dealing with Qf, or C*epsilon.

Basically, I was fairly certain that the time constant is the same regardless of which capacitor you are looking at. Is this not the case?

Across C1 and C2 potential difference is the same. During discharge, time constant for C1 is C1(R3+R4). At the instant of discharge charges on C1 and C2 are not the same.

Ok, I see what you're saying, and that sounds right.

Thanks again for the help.

1. How do you calculate the charge in an RC circuit at a specific time (t2)?

In order to calculate the charge (Q1) in an RC circuit at a specific time (t2), you can use the formula Q1(t2) = Q0(1-e^(-t2/RC)), where Q0 is the initial charge in the circuit, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

2. What is the significance of the time constant (RC) in an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) in an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values. A smaller time constant means the capacitor charges or discharges more quickly, while a larger time constant means it takes longer for the capacitor to reach its maximum charge or discharge.

3. How does the charge in an RC circuit change over time?

In an RC circuit, the charge on the capacitor changes exponentially over time. Initially, the charge increases rapidly, but as time goes on, the rate of change decreases until the capacitor reaches its maximum charge. The charge can also decrease exponentially if the capacitor is discharging.

4. Can the charge in an RC circuit ever reach a maximum value?

Yes, the charge in an RC circuit can reach a maximum value. This maximum value is equal to the product of the capacitance (C) and the voltage (V) across the capacitor, Qmax = CV. Once the capacitor reaches this maximum charge, it cannot hold any more charge and the current in the circuit stops flowing.

5. How does the resistance value affect the charge in an RC circuit?

The resistance value affects the charge in an RC circuit by determining how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. A larger resistance will result in a longer time constant and a slower charge or discharge rate, while a smaller resistance will result in a shorter time constant and a faster charge or discharge rate.