RC Circuit: 20V AC Source, 12V Voltage Across R, What about C?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem related to AC circuits, specifically a 50Hz AC source of 20V connected across R and C. The voltage across R was given to be 12V and the question asked for the voltage across C. The person asking the question had previous knowledge about AC circuits and was looking for a new explanation or approach to solving the problem. As per the conversation, it is clear that the person asking the question had not attempted to solve the problem and was seeking help.
CosmicC
A 50Hz AC source of 20V is connected across R and C. The voltage across R is 12V. The voltage across C is?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should know by now ...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

BvU said:
you should know by now ...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really sorry for that. Please tell me where do i post if i have a problem and I'm not able to attempt like i don't even know how to begin solving it. Where should those questions go?

Have you learned about AC circuits?

ehild said:
Have you learned about AC circuits?
Yes...I have understood this question. Would love to hear a new explanation if you have one. Thank you :)

Dunno. We are explicitly forbidden to help if no attempt is made by the poster. It also is useless to give someone an answer that he/she doesn't understand at all (complex numbers, differential equations etc require some previous knowledge from a course or textbook). We can't start at primary school level.
Oh well, Ersbeth was faster.

WHAT have you learned about AC circuits that might be useful herre ? 2. relevant equations !

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and store electrical energy.

2. How does a 20V AC source affect an RC circuit?

A 20V AC (alternating current) source will cause the RC circuit to oscillate, or alternate between charging and discharging the capacitor. This is due to the changing polarity of the AC source.

3. What does the 12V voltage across R mean?

The 12V voltage across R refers to the amount of voltage that is dropped across the resistor in the RC circuit. This voltage is determined by the resistance of the resistor and the amount of current flowing through it.

4. How does the capacitor affect the voltage in an RC circuit?

The capacitor in an RC circuit acts as a storage device for electrical energy. As the capacitor charges, it stores energy and reduces the voltage across it. As it discharges, it releases the stored energy and increases the voltage across it.

5. What happens to the voltage across C in an RC circuit?

The voltage across the capacitor (C) in an RC circuit will vary depending on the charging and discharging of the capacitor. Initially, the voltage across the capacitor will be zero, but as the capacitor charges, the voltage will increase until it reaches the same voltage as the source. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it will decrease until it reaches zero again.