RC Circuit Rise Time: 1k-1000k | V=5V | C=0.01uF

In summary, the rise time for the circuit shown above for a step input of 5V and a capacitor value of 0.01uF is approximately 10.5us for 10% of the final value and 230us for 90% of the final value. The correct equation to use is Vt = Vo * (1 - exp(-t/RC)) and the algebra checks out for the given resistor values. Care must be taken when evaluating exponential functions to avoid negative sign errors.
Fronzbot

Homework Statement

RC.jpg

Calculate the rise time (the time require for the output to go from 10% to 90% of its final, or steady state, value) for the circuit shown above when a step input of 5V is applied for the following resistor values: 1k, 10k, 100k, 1000k with C equal to 0.01uF.

Homework Equations

I believe either

Vt = Vo * exp(-t/RC)

or

Vt = Vo * (1 - exp(-t/RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

For the sake of simplicity, I'll just show you my 10k Resistor calculations. I took that second equation (not even sure if I should be using that?) and for Vt I multiplied my source voltage (which should be the final voltage of the capacitor before discharging, right?) by 0.1 for 10% of the final which is 0.5 so:

0.5 = 5 * (1 - exp(-t/1E-4))

I then distributed the 5 and took the natural log of both sides so:

-0.693 = 1.61 - (-50000t)
-2.303 = 50000t

so t at 10% of the final = -46us

Now the fact that I got a negative number indicates that I did something incorrectly. I honestly have no clue what to do as the question seems vague as to how to answer it. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it a lot.

(also, as a note, for the first equation I got the number 14us at 10% of the final using .5 = 5(exp(-t/1E-4)). Don't think that's right either?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I may have figured it out, I simulated it in PSpice and worked around with a few new ideas and these numbers seemed to match up...

Vt/vo = 1 - exp(-t/RC)

The ratio of Vt/vo is the percentage of the final state so for 90% of the final it would be .9

.9 = 1 - exp(-t/RC)
-.1 = -exp(-t/RC)
.1 = exp(-t/RC)
ln(.1) = -t/RC
RC * ln(.1) = -t
1E-4 * ln(.1) = -t
t = 230us

and t for 10% is 10.5us

Is that correct? Or am I way off? I seriously feel like I may be pulling all of this out of my backside :/

You are right Fronzbot, you are using the correct equation and your algebra checks out. Be careful evaluating exponential functions as negative sign errors can do funny things like giving you negative time results that are incorrect. Below is an image of Vt/Vo with respect to time With a time constant of 0.1ms. The points where Vt/Vo is .1 and .9 are noted.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1924/rcplot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity and create specific timing delays.

What is the rise time of an RC circuit?

The rise time of an RC circuit refers to the time it takes for the capacitor to charge from 10% to 90% of its maximum voltage when a constant voltage is applied. It is typically measured in milliseconds (ms) or microseconds (μs).

How does the value of the resistor affect the rise time of an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor affects the rise time of an RC circuit by determining the rate at which the capacitor charges. A higher resistance value will result in a longer rise time, while a lower resistance value will result in a shorter rise time.

How does the value of the capacitor affect the rise time of an RC circuit?

The value of the capacitor affects the rise time of an RC circuit by determining the amount of charge it can hold. A higher capacitance value will result in a longer rise time, while a lower capacitance value will result in a shorter rise time.

How can the rise time of an RC circuit be calculated?

The rise time of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula t = 2.2 * R * C, where t is the rise time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. In the given example of an RC circuit with R = 1k and C = 0.01uF, the rise time would be approximately 22 microseconds (μs).