Calculating Resistance in an RC Circuit: A Time Constant Conundrum

In summary, the problem involves a series circuit with a 5 micro farad capacitor, a resistor, a switch, and a 12VDC battery. The time constant of the circuit is 4.0 seconds. The task is to determine the value of the resistance R. Using the equation q(t) = CE(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}), where tau is the time constant, the value of R is found to be 800,000 Ω. The remaining parts of the problem ask for the maximum charge on the capacitor and the charge remaining on one plate after one time constant. Both can be easily calculated by evaluating the function q(t) at the respective time intervals.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

A 5 micro farad capacitor is in series with a resistor, a switch, and a 12VDC ideal battery. The switch is closed at t=0s. The time constant of the circuit is 4.0s.

Determine the value of the resistance R?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From another example of a series circuit with a resistor and cap and switch, we found the equation:

[tex]q(t) = CE(1-e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex]

where tau is the time constant, and is substituted for RC in the equation. Now to me, this seems simple, tau = RC...

so [tex]R = \frac{\tau}{5.0*10^{-6}}[/tex]
where tau = 4.0 seconds

which is like 800,000 [itex]\Omega[/itex], which cannot be right! How do I tackle this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing wrong with 800 kΩ for a resistor value. Heck, it's less than a megohm!

Really? I was expecting a much smaller number so I thought I was wrong. Thank you.

The other parts of the problem ask for the max charge on the cap. Which is simply the lim as t goes to infinity, but we were told a rule of thumb is that the cap is fully charged when about 5 time constants have passed.

Then the next part asks the charge remaining on one plate after one time constant. Wouldn't that simply be the function q(t) evaluated at one time constant? The charge on one plate of the cap would just be negative the charge of the other right?

QuarkCharmer said:
Really? I was expecting a much smaller number so I thought I was wrong. Thank you.
You're welcome.
The other parts of the problem ask for the max charge on the cap. Which is simply the lim as t goes to infinity, but we were told a rule of thumb is that the cap is fully charged when about 5 time constants have passed.
Yup, that's a handy rule of thumb. After five time constants the circuit conditions should reach about 99.3% of their final values.
Then the next part asks the charge remaining on one plate after one time constant. Wouldn't that simply be the function q(t) evaluated at one time constant? The charge on one plate of the cap would just be negative the charge of the other right?
Yes and yes.

Thanks!

1. What is an RC circuit time constant?

The RC circuit time constant is a measure of the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges in an RC circuit. It is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) in the circuit.

2. How is the RC circuit time constant calculated?

The RC circuit time constant can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads.

3. What is the significance of the RC circuit time constant?

The RC circuit time constant determines the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges in an RC circuit. It also affects the frequency response and time domain behavior of the circuit.

4. How does the RC circuit time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

A larger RC circuit time constant results in a slower charging and discharging of the capacitor, while a smaller time constant results in a faster charging and discharging. This can be seen in the exponential function that describes the voltage across the capacitor in an RC circuit.

5. Can the RC circuit time constant be changed?

Yes, the RC circuit time constant can be changed by altering either the resistance or the capacitance in the circuit. This can be done by adding or removing resistors or capacitors, or by adjusting the values of existing components.