1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit voltage

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find Vn in the attached ckt.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    C12 & C2G act as capacitive voltage dividers. But I don't know how to account for R in parallel with C2G.

Attached Files:

• ckt.png
      ckt.png
      File size:
      6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2
    There are at least three mathematically distinct approaches to solving this. What technique are you supposed to use?

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Any technique that works.
    I'd prefer KVL.

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4
  6. Feb 17, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If V1 is an ideal source, then C1g is irrelevant (except for the added current it will draw from the voltage source, it won't have any effect on the voltage delivered to the remainder of the circuit).

Why not remove the load resistor and determine the Thevenin equivalent of the rest? When you then add back the load you'll have a voltage supply and RC voltage divider to analyze (note that the Thevenin voltage will be frequency dependent unless V1 has a given fixed frequency).

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6
    Thanks. I got it. It's so simple, if C1g is ignored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook