Calculating Voltage Across a Capacitor in a RC Circuit with Two Resistors

In summary, the voltage across the capacitor during charging is given by V = V0 (r/(R+r)) (1-e-((R+r)t)/(RrC)).
ProjectENIS

Homework Statement

Given a circuit with two resistors, R and r, and a capacitor of C, and EMF of V0 as shown in the diagram, find the voltage across the capacitor during charging. Prove that this voltage, V is given by V = V0 (r/(R+r)) (1-e-((R+r)t)/(RrC))

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have

Loop A (with C): V0 + RI + q/c = 0 ==> I = (V0 - VC)/R
Loop B (with r): V0 + RI + rIr = 0
I = Ir + Ic ==> I = V/r + C(dv/dt)

From first and third,
(V0 - VC)/R = V/r + C(dv/dt)

Simplify to get,
V0 - RC(dv/dt) = V(1+R/r)
V = (r/[R+r])(V0 - RC(dV/dt))

The shape of the equation is getting there (I hope), but what do I do next? To get the given equation, RC(dV/dt) must be V0e-((R+r)t)/(RrC).

RC (dV/dt) = V, solving this differential equation to get ln (V) = -t/(RC) + k, hence, RC (dV/dt) = e-t/(RC) + k. And I am totally stuck.

Did I do something wrong somewhere? I can't think of anyway to get the RrC term in e-((R+r)t)/(RrC), not to mention the V0 and the (R+r) terms, unless k is like Rt/r. But that still does not give me a V0?

Attachments

• RC.png
    RC.png
    802 bytes · Views: 1,112
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation is correct. You need not solve it to prove that the given V is solution, just plug in V and dV/dt. What is the derivative of the given V(t) function? ehild

Hi ehild,

Thanks for your reply.

For the differential equation, V = RC (dV/dt), solved for V = e-t/(RC) + k,

e-t/(RC) + k = RC (dV/dt)

dV/dt = e-t/(RC) + k/RC

Is this what you meant?

Last edited:
ProjectENIS said:
Hi ehild,

Thanks for your reply.

For the differential equation, V = RC (dV/dt), solved for V = e-t/(RC) + k,

e-t/(RC) + k = RC (dV/dt)

dV/dt = e-t/(RC) + k/RC

Is this what you meant?

NO.

Your differential equation is not V = RC (dV/dt), but V = (r/[R+r])(V0 - RC(dV/dt)).

ehild

Sorry for the mistake,

That will get me

(V - (r/[R+r])V0)-1dV = [-(r/[R+r])RC)]-1dt

Which gets me ln [V - (r/[R+r])V0)] = t/(RrC/[R+r])
V - (r/[R+r])V0) = e(t/(RrC/[R+r])]
And a little rearranging gets me V = e(t/(RrC/[R+r])] + (r/[R+r])V0)

Hmm, did i do something wrong? Even if I subsitute V = RC(dV/dt) into the equation, i will get

V = (r/[R+r])(V0 - e(t/(RrC/[R+r])] - (r/[R+r])V0))

which is not equal to the answer..

Last edited:
ProjectENIS said:
Sorry for the mistake,

That will get me

(V - (r/[R+r])V0)-1dV = [-(r/[R+r])RC)]-1dt

Which gets me ln [V - (r/[R+r])V0)] = t/(RrC/[R+r])

You missed to add the arbitrary constant. Your result will be is the same as the given function with the condition that the initial voltage on the capacitor is zero: V(0)=0.

ProjectENIS said:
Hmm, did i do something wrong? Even if I subsitute V = RC(dV/dt) into the equation, i will get

V = (r/[R+r])(V0 - e(t/(RrC/[R+r])] - (r/[R+r])V0))

which is not equal to the answer..

Why do you substitute V=RC(dV/dt)? It is valid for a simple RC circuit only.

ehild

Hi again ehild, I added in the arbitrary constant and got the equation! Thank you so much!

Regarding the V = RC (dV/dt), I have misunderstood the derivation, and assumed that it is a general formula for all RC circuits. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll read up on it tonight.

Once again, thanks for your help!

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

What is an RC circuit with two resistors?

An RC circuit with two resistors is an electrical circuit that contains a combination of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) in series with another resistor. The two resistors work together to control the flow of current through the circuit.

How does an RC circuit with two resistors work?

An RC circuit with two resistors works by using the capacitor to store and release electrical energy, while the resistors regulate the flow of current. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor charges up, and then slowly discharges through the resistors.

What is the purpose of using two resistors in an RC circuit?

The purpose of using two resistors in an RC circuit is to control the flow of current through the circuit and to prevent the capacitor from discharging too quickly. The first resistor helps to limit the amount of current that flows into the capacitor, while the second resistor helps to regulate the amount of current that flows out of the capacitor.

What factors affect the behavior of an RC circuit with two resistors?

The behavior of an RC circuit with two resistors is affected by several factors, including the values of the resistors and the capacitor, the voltage applied to the circuit, and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, the temperature and age of the components can also impact the performance of the circuit.

What are some common applications of RC circuits with two resistors?

RC circuits with two resistors have many practical applications, such as in RC filters, time delay circuits, and audio amplifiers. They are also commonly used in electronic devices to smooth out voltage fluctuations and to control the charging and discharging of batteries.