Calculating Current Split in Parallel Circuit with Frequency of 100 sec-1

In summary, the problem involves finding the fraction of current that goes through a capacitor in a parallel circuit with a resistive load. The solution involves using the equation I(capacitor) = C * (dV/dt) = ω*C*V and solving for the total effective current, which is not equal to the sum of the individual currents in an AC circuit. The final answer is 0.106569, but the format of the answer may need to be adjusted.
awakeinroom8

Homework Statement

A capacitor is placed parallel across a resistive load in a circuit. C= 0.829*10-6 F and R = 229 ohms. What fraction of the current goes through the capacitor when the frequency is 100 sec-1?

Homework Equations

I(resistor) = V/R
I(capacitor) = C * (dV/dt) = ω*C*V (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ic / (Ir + Ic) = [ω*C*V] / [(V/R) + (ω*C*V)] reduces to [ω*C*R] / [1 + ω*C*R]
The answer I got was 0.106569. I don't know if the work is wrong or if the format of my answer wrong, like is that the "fraction" or do I have to do something else to it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem here is that I_tot does not equal Ir+Ic. The instantaneous current at any point in time does obey I_tot=Ir+Ic, but not the effective current in an AC circuit. You have to calculate the total effective current in a different way (what way?)

The only thing I can find is for an RC circuit in series. is it the same for parallel?

do you mean I_tot (sqrt 2)? can someone please help me it's almost due :/

1. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel circuit with a frequency of 100 sec-1?

The total current in a parallel circuit can be calculated by adding the individual currents of each branch. In this case, the frequency of 100 sec-1 does not affect the calculation of the total current.

2. What is the formula for current split in a parallel circuit?

The formula for current split in a parallel circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of each branch. This formula remains the same regardless of the frequency of the circuit.

3. How does frequency affect the current split in a parallel circuit?

Frequency does not directly affect the current split in a parallel circuit. The current split is determined by the individual resistances of each branch and the total voltage of the circuit. However, a change in frequency can cause changes in the voltage and resistance, ultimately affecting the current split.

4. Can I use Ohm's Law to calculate current split in a parallel circuit with a frequency of 100 sec-1?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the current split in a parallel circuit with a frequency of 100 sec-1. However, keep in mind that Ohm's Law only applies to circuits with constant values of voltage and resistance. If the frequency is changing, the values of voltage and resistance may also change, making the calculation more complex.

5. Can the total current in a parallel circuit be greater than the current through any individual branch?

No, the total current in a parallel circuit will always be equal to or less than the current through any individual branch. This is because the total current is divided among the branches, and the individual currents cannot exceed the total current.