How does the current through an inductor affect the RC circuit?

In summary, when the switch is closed, the inductor behaves like a short circuit and all the current (6 A) flows through it. When the switch is opened, the current only flows through the 4 ohm resistor which forms a separate circuit with the inductor.
meanswing
This is for question 7.53b) . I understand that the inductor acts like a short circuit but how is the current through the inductor affected? Wont the current source (6 A) split at the node before the 4 ohm resistor and before going into the 2 ohm resistor?

Also to get the Equivalent Resistor when the switch is open is troubling me? At first i wanted to add the 4ohm and 2ohm resistor since they are in series but my answer was wrong. The correct answer was 2ohm? Isnt the 4ohm and 2ohm resistor in series even though the switch is open?

scan0001-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For the equivalent resistance, do not forget to zero the current source, when you do, you will immediately see that the 4 Ohm resistor will not be connected to the 2 Ohm resistor in any way.

Also to the first question, when short circuiting the inductor, always think about the path of least resistance, this is the route the current will take.

Not sure when this question was posed. Even if it were sometime ago perhaps you may find my comments useful?

With regards Fig 7.53 (b). For times t < 0 when the switch is closed, the inductor acts like a piece of wire (since the current is constant so di/dt = 0 there is no emf induced, VL = L di/dt = 0) and all the 6 A flows through the inductor with no current flow through either the 4 ohm or 2 ohm resistors.

When the swich is opened, only the 4 ohm resistor is in series with the 6 A current source, and all the 6 A flows through this resistor (the current jumps instantaneously from zero to 6 A since a pure resistive circuit).

The inductor and the 2 ohm resistor form a separate circuit, with the inductor connected in series with this resistor. With no source of emf (or constant current sources) in this circuit the current must eventually fall to zero, but this cannot occur instanteously since the inductor inhibits changes in current(instantaneous implies di non-zero for dt = zero).

If the current flowing through this circuit is i(t) then (according to Kirchhoff) the p.d. across the 2 ohm resistor (2*i(t)) is equal to the p.d. across the inductor (3*di/dt).

The polarity of these terms must be considered but I guess that you have
2*i(t) + 3*di/dt = 0.
When looking at differential equations you have to take the boundary conditions into account and this is given by the current through the inductor just before the switch is opened, i.e. i(t=0) = 6 A.

I think this gives the current through the inductor after the switch is opened as something like i(t) = 6*( 1 - exp(-t/tau) ) A where tau is the time constant?

Is this OK? It doesn't look as if the 4 ohm resistor comes into the result for i(t)? Jim

Ooops ... the current may be 6 exp(-t/tau) A

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

2. How does current behave in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the current initially flows through the resistor, but as the capacitor charges up, the current decreases. Eventually, the current stops flowing through the resistor and only flows through the capacitor.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum charge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values of the circuit.

4. How does changing the values of R and C affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

Changing the values of R and C can affect the time constant and the behavior of an RC circuit. A larger resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant and slower charging or discharging of the capacitor. A smaller resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time constant and faster charging or discharging of the capacitor.

5. What are some real-world applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have a wide range of applications in electronic devices, including filters, timers, oscillators, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and electronic ignition systems in cars.