1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuits and maximum voltage calculation

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] RC Circuits

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. I have two questions in regards to RC circuits, the first one is how to calculate the maximum voltage across a capacitor, knowing the charge on a battery and the capacitance.

2. The other question involves this circuit [​IMG]

where the potential drop across the capacitor is 12V and the Battery is 36 V. R and C are also known. I need to calculate the current in R immediately after the switch is closed.

2. Relevant equations

For the first problem I am sure I am just overlooking something. As far as I know I can't use the equation V = Q/C as that will just give me the Voltage of the battery.

3. The attempt at a solution

In the second problem, I applied Kirchhoff's Law to obtain -I(1)*R(1)-12V+36V=0, where I then solve for I(1), but my answer in not correct, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted