How Do Parallel Resistors and Capacitors Affect RC Circuit Half-Life?

In summary: This means that the ratio of the new half-life to the original half-life would also be 1. In summary, the time constant for an RC circuit with two identical capacitors and two identical resistors connected in parallel would remain the same, resulting in a ratio of 1 for the new half-life to the original half-life.
poweroffive
Hey Everyone, I have a question regarding physics.

Say you're given an RC circuit with two identical capictors and two identical resistors and that the two resistors are connected in parallel and the two capacitors are connected in parallel and both are used in the circuit.

How can you figure out what the ratio of the new t 1/2 to the original t 1/2 would be, as in the "half-life"?

Any help is appreciated. THank you in advance.

Sorry if I accidently posted this elsewhere, I am new to these wonderful forums and this mistake won't happen again.

PS: I attempted to use the equations with e and the -t 1/2 but kept getting odd ratios...

Physics news on Phys.org
Two identical resistors R connected in parallel have an equivalent resistance of R/2.

Two identical capacitors C connected in parallel have an equivalent capacitance of 2C.

Does that help? You need to show more specific work if you need more help.

Thanks for your reply, berkeman. It does, indeed, help.

So now that I have this, can i just plug it into this formula:

where the halflife (t 1/2) = (ln2)RC and that I derived from V(1/2)/Vi = e^((-t1/2)/RC)

so that the original equation is just that, t1/2 = RC ln2 and the new equation is the same since R/2 times 2C is equal to RC?

So, to summarize, wouldn't the original and the new half life be the same?

poweroffive said:
So, to summarize, wouldn't the original and the new half life be the same?

If I understand the question correctly, then yes, the time constant would stay the same.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit, or a resistor-capacitor circuit, is a circuit that contains both a resistor and a capacitor connected in series or in parallel. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

An RC circuit works by storing and releasing electrical energy in the capacitor. When the circuit is first connected, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the power supply. As the capacitor charges, current flows through the resistor, gradually decreasing until it reaches its maximum value and the capacitor is fully charged. When the circuit is disconnected, the capacitor then discharges through the resistor, releasing the stored energy.

3. What is the half-life of an RC circuit?

The half-life of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to half of its starting voltage. It is determined by the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit, and can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. How can I calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated using the formula τ = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. How can I increase the half-life of an RC circuit?

The half-life of an RC circuit can be increased by increasing either the resistance or capacitance in the circuit. This will result in a slower discharge of the capacitor, leading to a longer half-life. Additionally, using a larger power supply voltage can also increase the half-life of the circuit.