Solve RC Circuits Homework: Find Vout w/S1+S2 Closed

In summary, the homework statement states that a switch must always be closed if it is to maintain its voltage. Once the capacitor voltage hits 2V, the switch can be opened. The equations used to find Vout while S2 is closed and until S2 opens are found. However, the author is confused because they are not able to solve for Vout using KVL. They are able to find Vout by fitting a and b and then solving for T. Once T is found, it is clear that R + R||2R is the total impedance C sees going to hard voltages. V0 is the capacitor initial voltage and V1 is the source voltage.
erezb84

Homework Statement

S1 switch - always close.
S2 switch is closed, until the capacitor voltage reaches 2V.
given: R,C,V values.
V0 = 0V.
Need to find Vout while S1+S2 are closed and until S2 opens.

Homework Equations

Vc(t) = (Vi - Vf)*(exp -t/TAU) + Vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the Vc(t) equation (until S2 opens) and got:
Vc(t) = 2/3V1*(1-exp(-3t/5RC))
but now i am alittle bit confused.
can't i tell that by KVL for the large loop (throught S2) each R has V1/3 voltage?
or i can't do it because we are in the charging stage?
thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
If S1 is always closed, why show it? It's just a wire ...

because in the next question it opens...

V0 is the capacitor initial voltage.
V1 is the source voltage

Vout = V1(1/2.5 - 1/3)exp(-t/T) + V1/3

T = {R + R||2R}C.

Initially you have C charged to V1 so the Thevenin equivalent is V1 connected to the rest of the circuit by R/2. So Vout(0+) = V1R/(2.5R). At t = ∞ you have C out of the picture so Vout(∞) = V1/3.

You know the output must take the form Vout = a*exp(-t/T) + b. So you fit a and b:
Vout()+) = a + b, V(∞) = b.

Then T is by inspection R + R||2R since that is the total impedance C sees going to hard voltages (impedance = 0).

erezb84 said:
V0 is the capacitor initial voltage.
V1 is the source voltage

If V0 is initial capacitor voltage, it is not zero. It is V1.

I assume V1 is constant, -∞ < t < +∞
S1 closed.
S2 open, t < 0 and closed, t > 0.

If this is incorrect you need to define the problem better.

See you in about 8 hrs.

erezb84 said:
can't i tell that by KVL for the large loop (throught S2) each R has V1/3 voltage?
Series resistors [any number of] can be considered to form a simple proportional voltage divider ONLY if all carry the same current. Clearly, that is true in your case ONLY if zero current is going into the capacitor branch. This condition (of zero capacitor current) becomes true only once the capacitor has reached full charge. So that potential divider sets the voltage the capacitor eventually could attain, but until then, one of the resistors carries more current than do the other two.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving RC circuits homework?

The purpose of solving RC circuits homework is to gain a better understanding of how resistors and capacitors work together in a circuit and to practice applying mathematical equations to solve for voltage and current values.

2. How do I find Vout when both S1 and S2 are closed?

To find Vout when both S1 and S2 are closed, you can use the following equation: Vout = Vin * (1 - e^(-t/(RC))). In this equation, Vin is the input voltage, t is the time constant (RC), and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718.

3. What is the significance of the time constant (RC) in an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) in an RC circuit represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is a measure of how quickly the circuit responds to changes in the input voltage.

4. Can I solve RC circuit problems without using mathematical equations?

No, mathematical equations are necessary for solving RC circuit problems. These equations, such as Ohm's Law and the RC time constant equation, help us understand the relationship between voltage, current, resistance, and capacitance in a circuit.

5. How can I check my answer when solving RC circuit problems?

You can check your answer by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to ensure that the sum of voltages and currents in the circuit match the values you calculated. You can also use a circuit simulator, such as LTspice, to verify your calculations.