Help! RC Circuits Assignment: I'm Stumped!

In summary, the speaker is struggling with an assignment on RC circuits and is asking for help with calculating theoretical charge and discharge times. They are not confident in their understanding of the charging and discharging formulas and are also unsure about how to transpose them. They mention that the document in the provided link is unreadable.
d_sx
I've been set the following assignment on RC circuits that I thought I understood. Turns out I don't:

http://www.geocities.com/danielessex/images/electronicsmain.jpg

I understand what is happening in the circuit and what it is asking me to do but I don't really know how to go about it.

When i transposed the charging formula i got:
t=ln(1-Vc/V0)x-RC

When i transposed the discharging formula i got:
t=ln(Vc/V0)xRC

Not really sure if these are correct but if they are, how do I go about calculating the theoretical charge and discharge times when I don't know Vc

I might just be being stupid but Maths and Physics were never my strong points so any help would be much appreciated (or if you want to do the assignment I wouldn't mind ;P)

Thanks for you time and help,
Dan - Edinburgh, Scotland

Attachments

• Marking Scheme.txt
    671 bytes · Views: 298
Physics news on Phys.org
Just like to say thanks for the 'overwhelming' response from you all.!

Thanks a bunch!

well, I'm not sure about everyone else, but the document in your first link is unreadable on my computer.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The resistor limits the flow of current, while the capacitor stores electrical charge. This circuit is commonly used to control the amount of current and voltage in a circuit.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor charges up when the circuit is closed, and discharges when it is opened. The resistor controls the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. This causes a time delay in the circuit, which can be used to filter out certain frequencies of current.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit. It is represented by the Greek letter tau (τ). This value is used to calculate the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values. The formula is τ = R x C.

5. What are some common applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have many practical applications, such as in filters, timing circuits, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers, to regulate and control the flow of current and voltage.