Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Controlled motor

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hello all.
    I have a mini project on hand which is to create a remote controlled motor which in turns control the throttle cable of a dyno machine.

I have a plan on hand which is to use an RC motor connected with a pulley. however to control the speed of the motor, i know that a transmitter and receiver is required. hence, is there any other ways to control the speed? Also, how do you connect a pulley and an RC motor together?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    You'll probably want a servo. Hobby stores have R/C servos in a wide variety of sizes and strengths.

Just out of curiosity, why radio control the dyno throttle?

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    the dyno used is an old version. thus the throttle cable is not remote controlled. so installing a radio controlled motor (which is generally cheaper) to control the throttle cable makes it more efficient.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    Just keep in mind that if you are testing anything with a poorly shielded high-energy ignition there is the possibility of radio interference -- possibly leading to uncontrolled acceleration.

I can't imagine any dyno installation that prevents you from just running a couple of wires to the throttle controller servo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook