Solve RC Impulse Response: Voltage @ a RC Circuit

In summary: The impulse response of a RC circuit can be found by considering the delta function as a step function and taking the derivative of the step response. This can also be solved using Laplace transforms, but it depends on the course material. There was also a discussion about the sign in the solution and a correction was made.
Frank-95
Hello. I would need some clarifications about the impulse response of a RC circuit.

1. Homework Statement

Find the impulse response relative to the vc(t) voltage.

image.jpg

NOTE: delta(t) is the exact dirac's delta of infinite amplitude, not an approximated peak.

Homework Equations

δ(t) = d θ(t) / dt

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I have a doubt of theoretical nature. If we know that capacitor's voltage is a continuous function (vc(0-) = vc(0+), and know that vc = 0 for t < 0, how can voltage change? Shouldn't it remain 0 for the impulse duration, considering the circuit completely ideal?

Anyway, is it correct to consider the impulse source as a step one, and then derivate the function?

Specifically talking, I found the Thevenin equivalent between a and b, and it comes out:

Rth = 1,6344 Ω
Vth = -0.3313 V

Then I calculate the step response as:

vcθ(t) = -0.3323 θ(t) (1 - e-t/1.6344)

From here is it correct to just derivate this function to get the impulse response?

vcδ(t) = -0.3323/1.6344 e-t/1.6344

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
That works. Is it possible that you've got the sign wrong? My interpretation of the voltage labeling (arrows) on the schematic would make the node b end of the capacitor the positive reference for the capacitor voltage, and the negative reference for Vx. In other words, Vc = Vb - Va. But the numerical constants look right to me.

You could also solve the problem using Laplace Transforms. The transform of the dirac impulse is simply "1".

Oh, your thread title is misleading: There's no "L" in the circuit, so "RL Impulse Response" doesn't match the problem given.

Likes Frank-95
That works. Is it possible that you've got the sign wrong?

Yes I probably mistakened the sign.

You could also solve the problem using Laplace Transforms. The transform of the dirac impulse is simply "1".

Unluckily the university course does not consider laplace transform as a way to solve circuits.

Oh, your thread title is misleading: There's no "L" in the circuit, so "RL Impulse Response" doesn't match the problem given.

I apologise. Basically I had written RL, then I noticed the error and wrote RC, but the log in expired and when I refreshed the page there was RL again, but I couldn't change the title once the thread was opened.

Thank you very much.

Frank-95 said:
Yes I probably mistakened the sign.
No worries. It happens.
Unluckily the university course does not consider laplace transform as a way to solve circuits.
Wow. Laplace transforms must be one of the most powerful methods for handling differential equations. They're used all the time in circuit analysis. That's a bit of a handicap for you.
I apologise. Basically I had written RL, then I noticed the error and wrote RC, but the log in expired and when I refreshed the page there was RL again, but I couldn't change the title once the thread was opened.
No problem, I can fix it for you.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is a simple electronic circuit that consists of a resistor and a capacitor connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to filter and control the flow of electrical current.

2. What is impulse response in an RC circuit?

Impulse response in an RC circuit refers to the output voltage or current that is generated when an impulse or sudden change in input voltage or current is applied to the circuit. It is a measure of how the circuit responds to a sudden change and is affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor.

3. How do you calculate the impulse response of an RC circuit?

The impulse response of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula V(t) = V₀(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V(t) is the output voltage at time t, V₀ is the initial voltage, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance. Alternatively, it can be calculated using Laplace transforms or by simulating the circuit using software like LTspice.

4. What factors affect the impulse response of an RC circuit?

The impulse response of an RC circuit is affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor, as well as the input voltage or current and the time constant (RC) of the circuit. The type of input signal, such as a step or a pulse, can also influence the response.

5. How is the impulse response of an RC circuit useful?

The impulse response of an RC circuit can provide important information about its behavior, such as the time it takes to reach a steady state or the frequency response. It is also useful in understanding and designing filters, signal processing circuits, and other electronic devices that use RC circuits.