What is the role of RC in opamp feedback loop for Type 2 opamp compensators?

In summary: No, the integrator actually has a gain of 1 up to some frequency. After that, gain reduces gradually.
likephysics
I am trying to understand Type1, 2 and 3 opamp compensators used in DCDC converters.
Type 1 is just an opamp integrator.

Type 2 has a C in feedback loop with parallel RC. How does this boost the phase Margin?
(page 307 - http://tinyurl.com/3qyt5dc)
I understand phase and gain margin when I look at the bode plots. But I don't get it when I am designing a ckt.

Also, how do I relate phase shift with phase margin.
For example, the inverting integrator output has -180 phase shift, but phase margin is -90 degrees. Is there a way to relate the two?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

No replies because there are a lot of gory math details to explaining it generally. The following is pretty good in that respect:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.151.7235&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Instead of that, however, the easy way is to always refer to the Op Amp manufacturer's documentation on how to compensate it. If they don't have such, it's internally compensated for any reasonable use already. If they do, then just use the design-specific formulae they provide and don't think about it too deeply.

If you need to know this for an engineering school assignment, then the above PDF links is what you want. You have to grok it at that level to generalize and build an intuition for it. Sorry. Nature of the beast.

No replies because there are a lot of gory math details to explaining it generally. The following is pretty good in that respect:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.151.7235&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Instead of that, however, the easy way is to always refer to the Op Amp manufacturer's documentation on how to compensate it. If they don't have such, it's internally compensated for any reasonable use already. If they do, then just use the design-specific formulae they provide and don't think about it too deeply.

If you need to know this for an engineering school assignment, then the above PDF links is what you want. You have to grok it at that level to generalize and build an intuition for it. Sorry. Nature of the beast.

I am puzzled by the integrator bode plot.
High gain at zero and gain gradually reduces.

Even though there is a resistor before the capacitor.

Shouldn't it be like a low pass filter. Constant gain up to some freq and then gain gradually reduces?

What is an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop?

An RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop is a combination of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) that is placed in the feedback loop of an operational amplifier (opamp). It is used to modify the gain, frequency response, and stability of the opamp circuit.

What is the purpose of an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop?

The purpose of an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop is to control the overall gain of the opamp circuit and to shape its frequency response. It also helps to improve the stability of the opamp circuit by reducing the effects of noise and unwanted oscillations.

How does an RC circuit affect the gain of an opamp circuit?

The RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop acts as a low-pass filter, which means it attenuates high-frequency signals and allows low-frequency signals to pass through. This results in a reduction of the overall gain of the opamp circuit at higher frequencies, making it more stable and less prone to oscillations.

What is the role of the capacitor in an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop?

The capacitor in an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop is responsible for storing and releasing electrical charge. It helps to smooth out any variations in the input signal, making the output signal more stable and reducing noise and oscillations. It also determines the frequency response of the opamp circuit.

How do I choose the values of the resistor and capacitor for an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop?

The values of the resistor and capacitor in an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop should be chosen based on the desired gain, frequency response, and stability of the opamp circuit. A larger resistor value will result in a lower gain and a smaller resistor value will result in a higher gain. A larger capacitor value will result in a lower cutoff frequency and a smaller capacitor value will result in a higher cutoff frequency. It is important to consider the trade-offs between gain, frequency response, and stability when choosing the values for an RC circuit in an opamp feedback loop.