Build RC Kit Yourself: Easy Steps for Assembling & Controlling

• Thread starter buster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Rc
In summary, you can buy a pre-made RC transmitter from a hobby store, or you can build a low-power FM transmitter kit. If you are mainly using this to learn electronics, there are a couple of other options.
buster
hi.. i m new here.. quite recently, i hav turned my attention to radio controls. i also built one but blew it up coz of messy power supply.
what i want to know is that if i buy a complete radio control kit from a hobby shop, ll i be able to assmble it myself n ll there be any manuals for various sorts of controls(like on or off, positional control, servo control etc..).
reason why i m askin it here is that, 1st-i don't have any hobby shop nearby, so i ll have to take a 4 day trip for that, and 2nd i want to be sure that if i buy it, i ll be able to complete it myself(u see, money is a constraint n i dun want to burn up any more if i can't get it to the right purpose).

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've used these. They were great! Maybe you can mail order it.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/

These are very simple to set up and use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-4EXA-4-Ch-Computerized-FM-Airplane-Radio-System_W0QQitemZ110144112225QQihZ001QQcategoryZ34056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Like chemisttree already pointed out, you can get pre-made RC sets from a lot of places. I guess I should ask you what you wanted to do with it first. If it something other than the typical RC airplane, car or boat, then you may have to make some things yourself.

Most transmitters are pre-made. The kits are generally more expensive and may require a ham license to operate. One issue is the FCC certification so that the transmitters won't interfere with other frequencies (or spread spectrum schemes).

You can get a cheap 2 or 3 channel transmitter. Hitec makes some cheap transmitters. The cheapest ones are the 2 channel ones used for rc boats and rc cars.

Jeff Reid said:
Most transmitters are pre-made. The kits are generally more expensive and may require a ham license to operate. One issue is the FCC certification so that the transmitters won't interfere with other frequencies (or spread spectrum schemes).

Yeah, Jeff is correct. You aren't going to find many legal kits for assembling your own full-power transmitter, since it is too easy to mess up and generate harmful interference.

If you are mainly using this to learn electronics, there are a couple of other options. One would be to build a low-power FM transmitter kit (which can only transmit below the threshold of power where the FCC gets interested). The range is only 10-30 meters, but it still teaches you some about what a real radio transmitter does. Here's an example:

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/fmst-100p.html

And here's an FM receiver circuit that you can build. I think it goes down low enough in frequency to pick up your FM transmitter kit's signal (you can see the picture of it one page up at http://www.transeltech.com/kits/kits1.html -- something's wrong with the picture in the details window):

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/rec-2p.html

If it doesn't, you can still use it to listen to the HAM radio bands and local police, fire, etc. radios. Also, if it doesn't go down far enough to hear the 88MHz-108MHz standard commercial FM broadcast band, you can just use your car radio or home stereo to listen to your low-power FM transmitter kit's output. Just find an empty space between existing FM stations in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guyz..this really helped.. atleast for a starter like me, it surely did

1. What is a "Build RC Kit Yourself" project?

A "Build RC Kit Yourself" project is a fun and educational activity where you can assemble and control your own remote-controlled (RC) vehicle. It typically comes with all the necessary parts and instructions for you to build the vehicle from scratch.

2. What are the benefits of building an RC kit yourself?

Building an RC kit yourself allows you to learn about the mechanics and electronics behind remote-controlled vehicles. It also helps develop problem-solving skills and can be a great bonding activity with friends or family.

3. How do I assemble an RC kit?

Each RC kit may have slightly different instructions, but in general, you will need to follow the provided instructions to properly assemble the vehicle. This typically involves using tools such as screwdrivers and pliers to attach parts and connect wires. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions to ensure the vehicle is assembled correctly.

4. How do I control the RC vehicle?

Most RC kits come with a remote control that allows you to control the movements of the vehicle. The remote control typically has buttons or joysticks that correspond to different functions of the vehicle, such as steering and acceleration. Again, it is important to read the instructions to understand how to use the remote control properly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building and controlling an RC kit?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when building and controlling an RC kit. This may include wearing protective gear, such as goggles or gloves, when using tools and ensuring that the vehicle is assembled correctly to avoid accidents. It is also important to use the RC vehicle in a safe and open area, away from people and obstacles, to prevent any potential injuries or damage.