Calculating Time Constant and Voltage Decay in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit consisting of two 500μF capacitors in parallel and a 100kOhm resistor. The time constant of the circuit is 100 seconds. Using the formula V=Vmax(e^(-t/RC)), the time taken for the capacitor voltage to decay to 630 volts is approximately 99.43 seconds. The current in the resistor can be calculated using the formula I = V/R, resulting in 0.01 Amps at t=0 seconds and 0.095 Amps at t=5 seconds.
Solidsam
Two 500μF capacitor are connected in parallel, and then to a 100kW (105W) resistor.
The capacitors are momentarily charged using a 1000V D.C. supply.
Find:

a) The time constant of the circuit.

b) The time “t” taken for the capacitor voltage to decay to 630 volts

c) The current in the resistor at t = 0 and t = 5 seconds

a)Is the time constant =RC=100s?

b)Do i use V=Vmax(e^(-t/RC))=99.43s?

c) do i use V=Vmax(e^(-t/RC)) again so for 0s its 0.01Amps and for 5s 0.095Amps?

Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit will decay exponentially. The time constant is the (negative) reciprocal of the decay constant:

exp(kt) = exp(-t/tau).

Let's see two 500muF caps in parallel equals a single 1000muF = 1mF cap. I take it you mean a 100kOhm resistor. dQ/dt = I = - V/R = - Q/CR. So k=-1/RC, tau = RC = 100 Ohm Farads. A Farad has units of seconds per Ohm so (a.) is correct!

Yes for (b.) and for (c.) yes you find the voltage and I = V/R (in magnitude). Looks like you got it.

1. What is a time constant in a parallel circuit?

The time constant in a parallel circuit is a measure of how quickly the voltage or current in the circuit will decay after a change is made. It is represented by the symbol tau (τ) and is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the time constant in a parallel circuit?

The time constant in a parallel circuit can be calculated by dividing the total capacitance in the circuit by the total conductance (resistance) in the circuit. This can be represented by the equation τ = C/G, where τ is the time constant, C is the capacitance, and G is the conductance.

3. How is voltage decay calculated in a parallel circuit?

The voltage decay in a parallel circuit can be calculated by using the formula V(t) = V₀e^(-t/τ), where V(t) is the voltage at time t, V₀ is the initial voltage, and τ is the time constant. This formula shows the exponential decay of voltage in a parallel circuit.

4. What factors can affect the time constant in a parallel circuit?

The time constant in a parallel circuit can be affected by the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. A larger resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant and a slower rate of decay. The temperature and type of materials used in the circuit can also affect the time constant.

5. How does calculating time constant and voltage decay in a parallel circuit relate to real-world applications?

Calculating time constant and voltage decay in a parallel circuit is important in understanding and designing various electronic circuits, such as filters and RC oscillators. It is also useful in analyzing the behavior of circuits in transient conditions, such as during power surges or fluctuations. This knowledge is essential for engineers, technicians, and scientists working in the fields of electronics and electrical engineering.