Find the Maximum Charge of a Capacitor

In summary: It was really helpful.In summary, the experiment was to find the maximum charge of a capacitor. The circuit had a resistor and capacitor connected to an output voltage of 4V. The voltage vs time graph showed that the charge on the capacitor was changing over time. The equation to find the charge on the capacitor is Q=CV.
jvdamdshdt

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I am having problems with finding the maximum charge of a capacitor.
From the experiment we are given R=100 Ohms, and Capacitance = 330 uF
We are asked to find the maximum charge the capacitor has.
Time to half charge was 0.0235 sec.

Voltage is 4V

Homework Equations

Q=Qmax[1−e(−t/RC)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried setting Qmax to one and Q to zero to represent a 100 percent but I can't get an answer. I am thinking you can never meet an actual max of a capacitor but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's likely you weren't measuring the charge (Coulombs) directly. What instrument were you taking measurements with?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
It's likely you weren't measuring the charge (Coulombs) directly. What instrument were you taking measurements with?

We were given a circuit with a resistor and capacitor. The circuit was then connected to an a ground on one side and a output voltage of 4V. We are asked to find the maximum charge of the experiment. I am thinking I am supposed to calculate the maximum charge using what is given.

jvdamdshdt said:
We were given a circuit with a resistor and capacitor. The circuit was then connected to an a ground on one side and a output voltage of 4V. We are asked to find the maximum charge of the experiment. I am thinking I am supposed to calculate the maximum charge using what is given.

So you were taking voltage measurements? How is charge related to voltage on a capacitor?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
So you were taking voltage measurements? How is charge related to voltage on a capacitor?

We had a voltage vs time graph at the end.
I am thinking this is the formula to find the charge? Q=CV

jvdamdshdt said:
We had a voltage vs time graph at the end.
I am thinking this is the formula to find the charge? Q=CV

That would be the one! You should be able to find your max Q from your max V since C is a constant.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
That would be the one! You should be able to find your max Q from your max V since C is a constant.

Thanks a lot. Sometimes I don't think.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How is the maximum charge of a capacitor determined?

The maximum charge of a capacitor is determined by its capacitance, which is a measure of the capacitor's ability to store charge. It is also affected by the voltage applied to the capacitor and the type of dielectric used.

3. What factors affect the maximum charge of a capacitor?

The maximum charge of a capacitor is affected by its capacitance, the voltage applied, and the type of dielectric used. It is also influenced by the size and shape of the capacitor, as well as the distance between the plates.

4. How can I calculate the maximum charge of a capacitor?

The maximum charge of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. It is important to note that this is the theoretical maximum charge and the actual charge may be less due to various factors.

5. What happens if a capacitor is overcharged?

If a capacitor is overcharged, it can lead to damage or failure of the component. The excess charge can cause the dielectric to break down, resulting in a short circuit. It is important to ensure that the voltage applied to a capacitor does not exceed its maximum rated voltage to prevent overcharging.