What are the equations for selecting a motor for an RC plane?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a new cargo RC plane and selecting a motor for it. The person is unsure of the required thrust and is looking for equations or steps to help make a decision. They mention general guidelines for watts per pound and propeller size for different types of models, and also provide links to helpful articles. They also mention a specific motor and its specifications for best sound.
pegus
Good day,

I am starting to design a new cargo RC plane and I end with this trouble.

I want to select a motor but I do not know the required trust.

Is there any equation or steps that I can apply to decide the motor??

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For best sound I can help you.

See the video listen the sound and details are as folllow

12 Blade Fan rotor 3200kV Outrunner motor
64mm Duct size
35a ESC with 3S liPo

1. How do I calculate the thrust of an RC plane motor?

The thrust of an RC plane motor can be calculated using the following equation: Thrust (lbs) = (Motor KV * propeller diameter (inches))^2 * motor voltage (V) / 2343. The KV value can usually be found on the motor label or in the product specifications.

2. What is the relationship between motor KV and propeller size?

The motor KV (RPM per volt) and propeller size have an inverse relationship. This means that as the KV value increases, the propeller diameter should decrease in order to maintain a similar level of thrust. For example, if you increase the KV value of your motor, you will need to use a smaller propeller in order to avoid overloading the motor and potentially damaging it.

3. How do I determine the voltage required for my RC plane motor?

The voltage required for an RC plane motor can be calculated by rearranging the thrust equation to solve for voltage: Voltage (V) = 2343 * Thrust (lbs) / (Motor KV * propeller diameter (inches))^2. It is important to note that this equation assumes a constant propeller size and motor KV value, so you may need to adjust the voltage based on the specific motor and propeller combination that you are using.

4. What is the maximum current that an RC plane motor can handle?

The maximum current that an RC plane motor can handle is typically listed in the product specifications or on the motor label. This value is known as the maximum continuous current (A), and exceeding it can lead to overheating and potential damage to the motor. It is important to choose a motor that can handle the current requirements of your RC plane, taking into account the weight and type of aircraft as well as the desired flight characteristics.

5. How can I improve the performance of my RC plane motor?

There are several ways to improve the performance of an RC plane motor. One option is to use a propeller with a higher pitch, which will increase the speed and thrust of the motor. Another option is to use a higher voltage battery, which will increase the RPM and thrust of the motor. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage can also put more strain on the motor and may require additional cooling measures to prevent overheating. It is recommended to carefully research and test any modifications to ensure safe and optimal performance of your RC plane motor.