Finding Impedance of RC Series Circuit - Value of R & C

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the impedance of a series circuit with given values of current, voltage, and angular velocity. The impedance is found to be a RC circuit with a leading current. The resistive and reactive parts of the impedance are identified, with the reactive part being calculated using Xc=1/ωC. The real part corresponds to the resistance and the imaginary part corresponds to the reactance. The concept of complex impedance is also briefly mentioned.
freshbox
Given that:
It=3<110°A
Vt=120<40°V and ω=314.2rad/sec

Find the impedance of the series ciruit elements in rectangular form and state the type and value of the respective elements.

I have found the impedance and know that it is a RC circuit as current 110° is leading voltage 40°.
How do I find the value of R and C with the help of ω=314.2rad/sec?

Thanks!

Attachments

• formula.jpg
    formula.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Identify the resistive and reactive parts of your impedance. If the reactive portion is due to a single component, how would you calculate it given the component's value?

I would use Xc=1/ωC to solve for the reactance of the Capacitor. But I have 2 unknown:Xc and C. How do I solve?

freshbox said:
I would use Xc=1/ωC to solve for the reactance of the Capacitor. But I have 2 unknown:Xc and C. How do I solve?

Identify the resistive and reactive parts of your impedance.

I'm sorry gneill. I have identified a resistor and a capacitor in the circuit. Because Resistance+Reactance(C)=Impedance. Does that answer your question? And I am trying to find the reactance of Xc, but I have 2 unknown and unable to solve it. I think my understanding is wrong somewhere :(

Okay, what did you obtain for the impedance?

40<-70°Ω
or
13.68-j37.59Ω

freshbox said:
40<-70°Ω
or
13.68-j37.59Ω

Alright, that looks good. Now, the real part of the impedance corresponds to the resistance of the series circuit, while the imaginary part of the impedance corresponds to the reactive part.

So can you identify Xc in your impedance?

Ok I got the answer. But i don't understand, how do you know that the real part = resistance whereas the imaginary part = Xc.

Thanks.

freshbox said:
Ok I got the answer. But i don't understand, how do you know that the real part = resistance whereas the imaginary part = Xc.

Thanks.

When you cover complex impedance you'll learn the theory. You've probably noted already when dealing with reactances that they introduce phase angles in currents and voltages, something you never had to worry about with pure (real valued) resistances. When you add resistance and reactances to find a total "resistance magnitude" you sum their squares and take the square root. That's just like vector components. So in that sense, reactances are a component of impedance that lies at 90° to resistance.

The real portion is the resistance and the imaginary portion is the reactance. Together they are called "impedance". Complex numbers let you represent these two "components" of impedance as a real portion and an imaginary portion.

Cool, thanks for the explanation :)

1. What is the formula for finding the impedance of an RC series circuit?

The formula for finding the impedance of an RC series circuit is Z = √(R² + (1/ωC)²), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, and C is the capacitance.

2. How do you calculate the value of R in an RC series circuit?

To calculate the value of R in an RC series circuit, you can use the formula R = V/I, where V is the voltage across the resistor and I is the current flowing through the resistor.

3. How do you determine the value of C in an RC series circuit?

The value of C in an RC series circuit can be determined by using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the charge stored in the capacitor and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

4. What is the significance of finding the impedance of an RC series circuit?

Finding the impedance of an RC series circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the circuit will behave in terms of resistance and reactance. It also helps us determine the amount of current that will flow through the circuit at a given frequency.

5. How does the value of R and C affect the impedance of an RC series circuit?

The value of R and C in an RC series circuit directly affects the impedance. A higher value of R will result in a higher overall impedance, while a higher value of C will result in a lower overall impedance. This means that by changing the values of R and C, we can control the impedance of the circuit.