Calculating RC Time Constant: R1 or R1 & R2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a battery in parallel with a resistor R1, followed by a series with a capacitor also in parallel with a resistor R2. There is a question about whether to use R1 or the combined resistance (1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2) to calculate the time constant (RC). The approach of using Kirchoff's law is suggested, as well as considering the circuit as two capacitors in series. There is also a discussion about the capacitor charging and using Thevenin's method to simplify the circuit. The confusion arises from the placement of the components (in parallel or in series) and the accuracy of the circuit description.
phrygian

Homework Statement

A circuit with a battery that is in parallel with a resistor R1 followed series by a capacitor, which is in parallel with a resistor R2

Homework Equations

Time constant = RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know if it is correct to calculate RC with 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 or if I would only use R1 because it is in series with the capacitor. Can anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
the best way to find out is write the actual equations. Write the Kirchoff law for the entire circuit...

u know the definition of time constant??

I don't see the capacitor charging at all because the charge (current) will continue flowing through the resistor in parallel with it.Imagine that your circuit consisted of just the battery and R1 and a gap in the connecting wires.The wires at each end of the gap along with the gap itself can be considered as a capacitor.What would happen if you now used R2 to bridge the gap?

Dadface said:
I don't see the capacitor charging at all because ...

Initially, the uncharged capacitor doesn't even "see" R2, because the uncharged capacitor acts as a short circuit. So, Initially, charge flows into the uncharged capacitor at the rate I = V/R1.

The rate at which the capacitor charges, if at all, is unequivocally determined by the approach advocated by praharmitra, and by q = VC for capacitors.

George imagine we had the simplest circuit where the poles of the battery were connected by a single wire.If now the wires are cut in two places and then separated we have,in effect, two capacitors in series.If the gaps are now bridged by R1 and R2 we have the circuit described by phrygian.The difference is that in the original circuit one of the capacitors is large and the other small(for practical purposes negligibly small) whereas in the circuit I describe both capacitors are small.I see that the current is 1/total resistance..By the way,I loved that hilarious thread posted yesterday.

Last edited:
I've got agree with George Jones on this one. When the battery is connected, the capacitor acts as a short circuit so the current goes through it. And in steady-state the current goes through R2. But why wouldn't the capacitor charge? It's connected to a battery...

Phrygian, you can make the circuit simpler by using Thevenin's method.

I'm not so sure the circuit description is the same as what various parties think it is. Heck, I don't trust it.

Who's in parallel with who, and what's in series with what? Are all the commas in the right places?

You would be best advised to provide a drawing or some more concise ,phrygian.

1. What is the formula for calculating RC time constant with only one resistor (R1)?

The formula for calculating RC time constant with one resistor is T = R1 x C, where T is the time constant in seconds, R1 is the value of the resistor in ohms, and C is the value of the capacitor in farads.

2. How do you calculate RC time constant with two resistors (R1 and R2)?

The formula for calculating RC time constant with two resistors is T = (R1 + R2) x C, where T is the time constant in seconds, R1 and R2 are the values of the resistors in ohms, and C is the value of the capacitor in farads.

3. What is the significance of the RC time constant in circuits?

The RC time constant is a measure of how quickly a capacitor charges or discharges in a circuit. It determines the time it takes for the capacitor to reach 63.2% of its full charge or discharge, and is used to calculate the time delay in various electronic circuits.

4. How do you choose the values of R1 and R2 for a specific RC time constant?

The values of R1 and R2 are chosen based on the desired time constant and the capacitance of the capacitor. R1 and R2 can be calculated using the formula T = (R1 + R2) x C and adjusting the values until the desired time constant is achieved.

5. Can the RC time constant be changed by adjusting the values of the resistors or capacitor?

Yes, the RC time constant can be changed by adjusting the values of the resistors or capacitor. A larger value of resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant, while a smaller value will result in a shorter time constant.