1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RCC circuit

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    • New member warned about posting with no effort
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The switch is closed at the moment t=0 and initial capacitor voltages are V01 and V02. How to find capacitor voltage time dependencies for both capacitors.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    bezymjannyj-png.87168.png bezymjannyj2-png.87170.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2
    What have you tried till now ?

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3

Attached Files:

5. Aug 11, 2015 #4
    I also think so, but my teacher's feedback:
    "Time constant and steady-state are OK but the whole solution not - when I substitute t=0 and I don't get V1(0) and V2(0).

Steady-state may be found using charge conservation law. The difference between initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in the 1st order circuit.

So please make another (final) iteration."

6. Aug 11, 2015 #5
    I think I see a mistake - you first use indefinite integration for ' i ' as a function of ' t ' .
    You don't use the limits correctly , i.e. , you don't subtract ' i ' at t = 0 .

Correct this , and then we can check if some other error creeps up .

Hope this helps .

7. Aug 11, 2015 #6
    I did not quiet get it. What limits should I use: t and 0?

8. Aug 11, 2015 #7
    Could you explain what my teacher wanted to say by: "the whole solution not - when I substitute t=0 and I don't get V1(0) and V2(0)" and "difference between initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in the 1st order circuit"

9. Aug 11, 2015 #8
    The first part - At t = 0 , by your solution , V1 is not equal to V10 , as given in the question . Same for the other capacitor's initial potential drop ( V20 ) .

The second part - This means that q ( charge on any one capacitor at time t ) would be such a function that -

q0 - q = k.ek1 , where k and k1 are some constants that will be found on solving entirely .

10. Aug 11, 2015 #9
    Isn't there when t=0: V1(0)=V10? Because by calculation I get the same equation.

Did you mean this? But answer doesn't change.

11. Aug 11, 2015 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@@lex@nder, please stop deleting the content of your posts. When other people have responded, deleting your posts makes it impossible to follow the discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook